Windows XP professional will not boot up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at my wits end with this one, so I thought it best to address the true professionals.

Problem: Windows XP Professional will not boot. I get a blue screen with an error message of "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". ....
The Technical information:
*** stop: 0X0000007E (0xc000005,0xF74c4508,0xF7A0E068,OxF7A0DD64)

*** ACPI.SYS - address F74C4508 base at F74C4000, DateStamp 41107d27

All of this means nothing to me????

I tried to boot from the dell boot disk to no avail? and got the same message.\
I tried to boot by (utility partition) and ran all of the system diagonostics -all passed. This program checked all of my hardware and found no problem, which leads me to believe it is a software issue.

If I can not boot the computer, how can I correct the problem??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sincerely, Rob

The video adapter drivers might be corrupt or
A device driver or a system service might be damaged.

----

See if you can boot into safe mode, by tapping F8 prior to windows starting and selecting safe mode from the menu, then select your normal account.

---

if you can get into safe mode - Right click on My computer - select properties - hardware tab - device manager

Check for yellow triangles on some of your devices or if any of the devices are expanded in the tree.

Let me know

Thanks Blind Dragon, but I am unable to boot up in safe mode, or by using my Dell Operating system disk????
When I try safe mode the error message is:
The problem seems to be caused by the followig file: ACPI.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Does that make any sense to you?
I appreciate any advise you may have!
Thanks, Rob

yes, sounds like hardware related. It would be better if you have a CD that has XP pro on it rather than the Dell recovery disk- I never have had much luck with those. The other thing it could be is that your recovery partition is actually corrupted and now you can use that option.

Assuming you don't have an XP cd, lets try a few things to narrow down the cause

First try:
Unplugging everything except keyboard, mouse, and monitor
That means any speakers, usb drives, cams, mics, or any other peripheral
Then reattempt to boot off the recovery disk, safe mode, or last known good configuration.

Next:
Try booting to your bios and changing the primary boot device to your cdrom instead of hard drive, do this by tapping the key at boot for setup (usually Del, F1, or F2) then go to boot priority and select your cd rom drive as primary, then hit F10 to save and exit - the computer will reboot and attempt to boot from the recovery CD.

Last:
If those still havent worked, hopefully you have 2 sticks of RAM. Try unplugging one stick of RAM and booting the computer - if it doesn't work insert the other stick of RAM only and try booting the computer. If you only have 1 stick of RAM then let me know and we can run memtest.

Blind Dragon, You have made my day! You were right, it was a hardware problem. One of my memory cards was bad! When I pulled it out my computer was able to boot up :)

I can not thank you enough for taking the time to assist in my problems, it reafirms my belief that there are genuine good people out there in the real world.

This is one more issue solved by Blind Dragon!
Thanks Again! Eternaly Greatful -Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back