TechSpot

Windows xp reformat help :D

By scum
Jan 6, 2008
  1. when i try to reformat i get to the boot from cd press any key i push a key and nothing happens it just freezes :D can some one please help me?

waka waka

2. jbonetwo

jbonetwo TS Rookie

this might be a stupid question but is it a legit copy of windows? has it worked before? try a different copy.

3. scum

scum TS Rookie Topic Starter

yeah my brother used it on his computer and it worked just fine.. i reformatted this pc before with no problems maybe im doing something diferent.. i had a virus on my computer not to long ago that was messing with my computer :p maybe that has something to do with it.. i really need to reformat my computer haha :D

4. scum

BUMP need help still ???? :D

5. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

If the CD is OK then perhaps there is a problem with your CD/DVD drive? Can you fit another one to confirm this?

6. scum

maybe i burn movies and cds all the time with it though ill try a new one though :D

7. AlbertLionheart

another point - for the purposes of reinstalling your OS, make sure that at this stage you only have the target hard drive and the install CD/DVD drive connected. You can reconnect any other drives later once the install is complete.

8. scum

ok i probably wont be able to get cd drive till tomarrow kind of late :D so i should only have on of my hard drives connected?

9. AlbertLionheart

yup - just connect the one you use as the boot drive. When the system boots, check in the BIOS that the drive is present.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.