Windows XP Restart button not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbthor

The boot screen hangs before detecting the hard drives. Actually looked again, it doesn't even detect the CPU or the memory. It will reboot properly when I hit the button on the front of the case.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, freshly installed on a shiny new WD SATA 500 GB drive
3 GB Ram
AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.01 mhz
Motherboard: NF-CK804

I had another hard drive on this computer before it died. There were two IDE drives. I did not have this problem then.
It's not a big deal, except that it's not supposed to do that and I worry about other possible problems.

Any ideas would be helpful.

NF-CK804 is pretty vague as I see multiple vendors with the same designation...

If you don't know it, just download CPU-Z and post a screenie of the 'Mainboard' tab.

And let me get this straight: you're saying you can't reboot from Windows, but have no issues with a physical reboot?

It's a Winfast Motherboard, the box says its a NF4SK8AA.

Untitled-1.jpg

If Windows is updating and restarts itself, that sometimes works. I think just for Windows itself. When other programs want a restart after install, I have to use the power button (this is what you're referring to as a physical boot?). It gets to the identity of the Motherboard and then freezes. I then press the power button, on the front of the case, turn it off, then turn it back on and it works fine. I have also tried setting the system on full standby, with everything turned off, and it comes back without a hitch.

Also, the nvidia drivers are all up to date.

Does having the SATA drive in the fourth slot a problem. On the motherboard, it was labeled SATA 1, but when it boots, and in the device manager, it's in the fourth slot.

Does it restart if you try it from Task Manager? You know, click on the Shut Down button and Restart is one of the options on the drop down menu.

You mean from the start menu? The Turn off Computer option and then you pick turn off, standby or restart? If that's what you are asking, that is the restart I've been trying that doesn't work.

I'll try that as soon as my downloads are done. Didn't even know you could do it from there.

It works from there and it works from the regular start menu restart too. Sorry to have taken your time. I finished all my Microsoft updates late yesterday and today all seems well. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back