TechSpot

Windows XP setup problem

By cRaZi_RiCaN
Jun 2, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I installed Pro Tools LE 8 and after I did the required restart my computer will no longer boot XP, it keeps restarting. I tried a bootable cd of XP, but it still restarts before I can enter the XP setup. Any ideas?
  2. ucould2

ucould2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 335

Try booting/starting in safe mode then reconfigure to a previous configuration, were all your drivers up to date including BIOS?
  3. cRaZi_RiCaN

cRaZi_RiCaN TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Yes i tried safe mode. Something weird happened, I put the same HDD in another case and I was able to do the setup or repair just fine. Sadly, when I put it back in the old case it starting freezing and restarting during boot again.
  4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

you mean to say you put the HDD in another computer, with different components?
  5. cRaZi_RiCaN

Yes. I in the original computer i couldnt reach the setup, but in the other computer I could.
  6. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

well now we have variables, like RAM for instance. a bad stick of memory in the original system could be preventing the OS from booting (i.e. RAM in the other computer could be fine). if the hard drive is booting fine in another machine, then it's likely the drive's structure is good. there could also be a problem with the original system's BIOS. you might be able to reset the BIOS settings to default/factory and have it working again.
  7. cRaZi_RiCaN

Yes, I thought about that , but I forgot one detail. I tried another working XP HDD in the original computer and it booted fine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.