TechSpot

Windows XP SP2 Firewall issue

By Douglas Michael
Aug 6, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Guys,

I am having a nagging problem with my XP SP2 firewall. I have been using Azureus for quite some time for my bittorrent needs. I was using Kerio Personal Firewall and everything was working fine. I had disabled the windows firewall and was using Kerio solely. I had to reinstall Kerio and when I went to enable the windows firewall, it said the service couldnt be started. I have tried enabling it in every fashion through searching numerous forums for fixes. I did the winsock fix from microsoft' database. So then once I got the Kerio back up and running I noticed that there is something blocking my ports to Azureus. I opened all ports for the program through Kerio and I still would get a NAT error. I even uninstalled Kerio and had no firewall running on my system and I would receive the same error. I cannot get the windows firewall enabled for the life of me. Even though this service is disabled and I have no firewall running, can the windows firewall still be interfering with Azureus? Any help would be appreciated.

I completely got rid of Kerio and went with Outpost. Same thing. I have updated and run spybot, adaware and spysweeper and found nothing.

It looks as if I did to good of a job disabling it. I switched profile 1 to enable and then I was able to finally start the service. I guess by disabling the service all together for the selected profile will conflict with your OS. Strange but then again this is windows. I enabled it per the profile but still had the XP firewall disabled and eveything worked like a champ.
    Well, after a month of trying I finally fixed it. Thanks anyway.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.