Windows XP SP3 BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI , I'm new to these forums and not quite sure if this is the right page for this particular error.

A friend of mine has a 3ghz P4 PC with 3gb of DDR400 RAM and everytime he tries to play a DVD it BSODs. The BSOD occures randomly during playback and only when watching DVD's. Playing games or browsing the Net is fine. Ive taken the PC to my place and ran some tests on it but I cannot make it fault.
I have run Memtest 86 for roughly 6hrs ( ~ 5 cylces) without any errors and have played 2 different DVD's in each of his 2 DVD drives.
The only difference is the keyboard and mouse that I am useing. My friend uses PS2 peripherals with extension leads whereas I use USB.
The DVD player is AVS media player.

Any ideas on what could be causeing these errors to only crop up at his location?

I dont have the exact BSOD error codes at hand right now but I can provide them within the next day or so.

- edit: minidump files attached to 4th post -

Hi there,

Could you please attach the latest 3-4 mini dump files to your next post.

They can be found in

Start > My Computer > Local Disk C: > Windows > Minidump

Someone will be able to debug them for you :)

Have debugged all four of your dump files and 3/4 of them pointed towards nv4_disp.dll being the cause of your problems. The other one pointed at nv4_mini.sys. Both of these are related to your graphics card and are causing the exact same error code

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

I'd suggest as a first step, to reinstall your graphics drivers and update them to the latest version.

1. Download the most recent driver for your hardware from the manufacturers site and save to your desktop, dont install yet. Download the software called 'Driver Sweeper Pro'

2. Boot into safemode and uninstall your current graphics drivers

3. Run the Drive Sweeper Pro software to remove any remaining leftovers

4. Reboot into normal mode and install the new drivers

Thank you for the promt reply snowchick. I will replace the graphics drivers and see how it goes. I will keep this thread updated with my results :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back