Windows XP SP3 Freezes on startup and then restarts it self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is what happened:
I downloaded a program and ran the install file and my computer slowed down for around 5 seconds until it came to a complete freeze and it had shut down itself giving me a Blue Screen with a load of writing on it.
Then I restarted my computer and now whenever I get to the point where it has the windows logo and the bar scrolling sidewards it freezes. It freezes after the bar scrolling sidewards scrolls about 4 times. After it freezes it just reboots it self and goes through the same process over and over. I've tried Safe Mode but that also doesn't work it just reboots it self.

I don't mind reformatting my computer but I have very important data and files in my harddrive so if the problem can only be fixed by reformatting would there be a way to back up my files?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You could remove the hard drive and place it into an external USB enclosure or a USB docking station and connect it to another PC or laptop and see if you can access the files. Once you save your files you can reinstall Windows and start over.

You could remove the hard drive and place it into an external USB enclosure or a USB docking station and connect it to another PC or laptop and see if you can access the files. Once you save your files you can reinstall Windows and start over.

I'm not a computer technician so I probably won't be able to do that myself, I guess I could vists a computer technician...

Does anyone have any other advice?

Also is there a repair windows tool in the Windows XP Cd? if so would it possibly fix my problem??

Not a tool exactly but you can do a repair install with the Windows CD. A repair is not supposed to affect your files but they nevertheless advise you to backup your files before doing so. Of course, you can't do that since you can't get to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back