Windows XP SP3 random reboots / help with dmp analysis

By Quivver
Mar 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have an older computer I rebuilt recently that won't stay online. It boots fine, I can log in and use it for a while, then it randomly reboots (no BSOD). When it comes back up there's a 1003 system error in event viewer, here's the event description:

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 cc55c9a4, parameter2 0000001c, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 80502367.

I've tried flashing the BIOS, running a chkdsk, did several passes with memtest, tried running without AV, upgraded all the drivers I can find; there's obviously something I'm missing, but I don't know how to read minidump's, was hoping somebody could help?

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,457   +135

Okay, it looks like you may have a virus or other malware infection. What antivirus/anti-malware programs are you using? What are this computers specs? Make and model?
  3. Quivver

Quivver Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Norton 7.1 Corporate Edition, MalwareBytes for AV/Malware protection

It's an old rig:

Windows XP Pro, 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600
    ASUS A8N5X BIOS Revision 0902, 3/20/2006 (nForce4 Chipset)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 DC 4400+
    Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Western Digital 160gb SAS (one, no RAID)
    1gb PC3200 memory (can't remember the brand off the top of my head)
  4. Tmagic650

Okay, the minidumps were "all over the place" meaning that the PC still looks infected. Re post this in the Virus and Malware Removal forum here:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html
    Try completing the 5-Step removal instructions first
  5. Quivver

This is a fresh windows installation, so I'm not sure that it's a virus/malware issue, however I posted over there as requested. Don't know if the dmp files were inconclusive because I made changes to the computer every day in an attempt to resolve the issue.
  6. Tmagic650

Can you post any new minidumps?
  7. Quivver

You bet! Here's the latest four from today.

Attached Files:

8. Tmagic650

Okay better this time. Looks like an Nvidia driver and a Symantec/Norton issue now...
  9. Quivver

I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver, since in my experience anytime a system just reboots and upon login says "The system has recovered from a serious error." it's almost always been a graphics card driver. Think I should uninstall Norton and put MS security Essentials on there instead? Is there a downgraded driver I should try instead?
  10. dernt

dernt Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symevent.sys. This driver belongs to Symantec, So I would say yes remove Nortons and replace with MSE
  11. Quivver

Looks like I'm having the same issue still, I will give it a chance to dump a few times today then post them.
  12. Tmagic650

Are you sure Norton was completely removed? Sometimes Norton is difficult to remove
  13. Quivver

I removed all the related applications from Add/Remove Programs, I can check the registry as well later this afternoon and make sure that's clear as well.

14. Quivver

The registry is clear for Norton as well, here's the last few dumps.

Attached Files:

15. Tmagic650

This looks like a hard drive problem now...
  16. Quivver

Ah okay, a little background is that I tried to put Windows7x64 on this computer first and was having pretty much the same problem, so I tried XP in case the hardware wasn't 64 bit capable. I'll try out a fresh build on a new hard drive. Thanks so much!
  17. Tmagic650

You are very welcome :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.