Windows XP -- starting from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an EMachine that I am trying to clean and reinstall XP Pro on. I have gone through the process of putting the disk in, formatting the hard drive about 3 times. When it restarts it asked to install XP, fix previous install or exit. If I click exit it says the OS is not completely installed, if I click fix prev. it runs through the whole process again, and starting from scratch just reformats the HD and runs thru the process.

I am wondering if I need to get a bare bones boot disk to format the drive? Where would I get one?

Hum.. Are you booting from the CD after the restart? Do not press any key after the first phase of installation has completed and the computer restarts. Or, take out the CD during the rebooting process.

It just finished the first phase and I removed the disk. It gave a message "Operating System Not Found", so I put the disk back in and it starts through the process again....??? It asked to repair a previous install, so I choose that and now I am at a command prompt... C:\WINDOWS>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back