TechSpot

Windows XP starting very slow

By icestone
May 8, 2003
  1. Hi... I have a laptop Gateway Solo PIII 500 Mhz which running Windows XP Pro....

Recently I installed XP service pack 1.. after the installation, I every time need 10 minutes to start up my system... it runs very slow at the progress bar of loading windows Xp which is the black screen with a progress bar running ( before the windows xp logo come out)

Can anyone give me some ideas how to overcome this problem... thank u..

2. SharkFiNbowL

SharkFiNbowL TS Rookie Posts: 46

Well! I don't know, but it's definitely the Service Pack that screwed it up, so you have two choices.

One, format it again and don't install the service pack (cuz it's useless!!! I don't install those crap)

Or two, try this . . .

Download BootVis, a program created by Microsoft for faster startup and bootup.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.mspx

Download it, and then when u open it, go to Trace > Optimize System, then it'll reboot and startup and wait when u get to the desktop, it will start optimizing.

Hope that works, if not, then format or ask others. . .

P.S. my first time helping in this forum .. hehe :D Hope I didn't do a horrible job.

3. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 730

it's your laptop

geez a 500 with who knows how much ram.......XP is a resource gobbler............look for tweaking sites for disabling ALL your services AND run bootvis.............you'll be coooo

4. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

If the system was fine before adding SP1, I would recommend that you remove SP1 and try installing it again. I don't think BootVis is going to solve this problem.

Also, is the only problem a slow startup? Is it also slow once you get to the desktop?

5. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I don't know if it makes a computer boot slow, but when I downloaded Windows Update #811493, it sure slowed my computer down, but no at boot up I don't think. I uninstalled it and everything is back to normal. IF that's the problem, it might be included in SP 1 now.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.