Windows XP starting very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... I have a laptop Gateway Solo PIII 500 Mhz which running Windows XP Pro....

Recently I installed XP service pack 1.. after the installation, I every time need 10 minutes to start up my system... it runs very slow at the progress bar of loading windows Xp which is the black screen with a progress bar running ( before the windows xp logo come out)

Can anyone give me some ideas how to overcome this problem... thank u..

Well! I don't know, but it's definitely the Service Pack that screwed it up, so you have two choices.

One, format it again and don't install the service pack (cuz it's useless!!! I don't install those crap)

Or two, try this . . .

Download BootVis, a program created by Microsoft for faster startup and bootup.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.mspx

Download it, and then when u open it, go to Trace > Optimize System, then it'll reboot and startup and wait when u get to the desktop, it will start optimizing.

Hope that works, if not, then format or ask others. . .

P.S. my first time helping in this forum .. hehe :D Hope I didn't do a horrible job.

it's your laptop

geez a 500 with who knows how much ram.......XP is a resource gobbler............look for tweaking sites for disabling ALL your services AND run bootvis.............you'll be coooo

If the system was fine before adding SP1, I would recommend that you remove SP1 and try installing it again. I don't think BootVis is going to solve this problem.

Also, is the only problem a slow startup? Is it also slow once you get to the desktop?

I don't know if it makes a computer boot slow, but when I downloaded Windows Update #811493, it sure slowed my computer down, but no at boot up I don't think. I uninstalled it and everything is back to normal. IF that's the problem, it might be included in SP 1 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back