Windows 11 shown running on just 176 MB of RAM

nanoguy

Staff member
In context: It's no secret that PC enthusiasts are a diverse bunch – some like to fiddle with hardware to push its limits through exotic cooling, and overclocking, while others like to develop or install mods for their favorite games to experience the original work in novel ways. And then there are those who wish to see if Doom runs on a toaster or if the latest version of Windows can be made to run on a system far below the official system requirements.

PC DRAM prices have been on a steady decline in recent months, mostly as a result of gamers holding off on upgrades at a time when memory manufacturers are struggling to solve an oversupply issue that has seen profits evaporate. It's a good time to build a new PC as system memory and SSDs are likely not going to get much cheaper, and games are starting to come with more strict requirements in both departments.

Windows 11 isn't that heavy on system RAM, but it's designed to use as much as you have to speed up its operation as well as the process of opening of frequently used apps and files. Microsoft says you need four gigabytes of system RAM to run Windows 11, which is a significant increase from the two gigabytes required to run its predecessor (one gigabyte if we consider the 32-bit variant that will reach the end of support in 2025).

However, that doesn't stop people like NTDev from trying to make it run on significantly more modest specs. Specifically, the Romanian developer behind the Tiny11 project managed to get Windows 11 to boot using only 176 megabytes of RAM, which is over 20 times less memory than the officially required amount.

As you'd expect, this isn't just a regular copy of Windows 11. To achieve this, the developer had to strip Microsoft's operating system down to the bare minimum set of components. That means that in addition to not having the bells and whistles that make Windows 11 so heavy on system RAM, the developer had to also remove things like Explorer.

That last bit is important because it turns out that sacrificing the default desktop file manager in Windows is what brought the memory usage down to around 150-170 megabytes compared to 200 megabytes on the previous attempt. As you can see in the video above, navigating the minified OS requires you to use the command prompt, so it's not exactly practical for actual use.

Fellow developer and Windows Insider freak @XenoPanther points out in a comment to the video that Windows 11 can be made to run in text-only mode on as little as 96 megabytes of RAM, though it's even less practical than NTDev's project. It's just as foolish as trying to run Windows 7 on a 5 MHz CPU paired with 128 megabytes of RAM or installing Windows 95 on a smartwatch, but it can be a cool and fun experiment that can soothe the geek within.

Permalink to story.

Important to note--the reason projects like these are useful are for creating microcontainers for prototyping. If anyone's ever used Docker, it's a great tool for running an application inside a virtualized OS including only exactly what's needed to run it (aka containers). You simply list the dependencies and how to set them up inside something like a YAML file. That means you'll be able to run any app you're developing anywhere and not need lots of resources. The most popular example of an image using a completely stripped down OS is Alpine Linux: https://hub.docker.com/_/alpine

Last edited:
Why do people have to go through the extreme?

Windows XP which is a 20 year old OS wasn't even capable to run properly with just 176MBs of RAM.....so why even go to the ridiculous lengths of trying that in 2023 with Windows 11?

Windows 11 really is bloated. My install, which doesn't have a lot of programs in it, takes up over 50 GB! It will update itself today and I almost dread how large it will grow after this! 🤔🤷‍♂️😥🤨

I played around a little with Nobara yesterday and am really considering a permanent switch. The only issue is some gaming, but I'm not sure how big of an issue that really is once you're setup and running, and Steam has been making great strides with Proton, to the point it might just be all you need.

Windows XP which is a 20 year old OS wasn't even capable to run properly with just 176MBs of RAM.....so why even go to the ridiculous lengths of trying that in 2023 with Windows 11?
If people had your attitude, we'd still be living in caves banging sticks. Who would go to the extreme of trying to master this "fire" nonsense?
I played around a little with Nobara yesterday and am really considering a permanent switch. The only issue is some gaming, but I'm not sure how big of an issue that really is once you're setup and running, and Steam has been making great strides with Proton, to the point it might just be all you need.
It's not a huge issue. Unless the dev decides to screw support (BattleBit Remastered) most games run fine, and those that do have issues or tuning you can usually find within 2-3 minutes of google. While I do keep a windows box around for compatibility, it's only been used once or twice, and both times it was for software for other people.

The freedom from using Microsofts broken OS and having a GUI designed for desktop use is wonderful. If you like old NT based windows, IceWM is great, and takes less then 100MB to run on its own. It's amazing watching a modern OS run on 512MB of system RAM.

Last edited:

This kind of work helps us find more efficient ways to run containerised projects. We need people doing these kinds of things so that we can do more with the compute power we have. Also, there's an element of wow from within that community. Do you think the same way about the olympics... We hold an enormous world wide competition every 4 years to see who can run the fastest over 100m, throw a ball the farthest, shoot a target, etc.

The best version of Windows 11 is Windows 10, the next best one will be Windows 12, windows 11 is the Vista/Windows 8 of the batch of Fails

To each their own. Of course you already have "cloud" versions of Linux that just run through startup scripts that launch nothing until you tell it to, I expect one of these would run fine in probably 8MB. I remember years and years back (1990s) on a 4MB system (or was it 8MB?) starting up X with fvwm window manager, starting an xterm, starting xclock and xeyes... well, that was about it, I was out of RAM. I suspect you could still do that in the 8-16MB range now.

Windows 11 really isn't 11, it's 10.0.22621.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621

You're kind of right. The number 10 in the OS version actually refers to the fact that it's NT 10. Thing is while that designates the kernel version, it doesn't mean that 10 and 11 are exactly the same OS, just that they use the same kernel. For example Windows Vista to 8 were based on NT 6, each with a minor point release update. Which was more than likely due to the updated DX3D version than anything else. If we get a DX13 some day (which I don't see happening) there's a good chance that the windows it comes with will still be NT 10, but with a minor point release update as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

Back