Windows XP startup problem

Hi,

I've got a problem with a computer running windows XP, it's got a 3,20 ghz intel CPU and 2GB of RAM.

The problem: When I boot the computer it seems like it's finished booting after about 1 minute. after that all the offline programs run as normal, but every application that uses the internet won't start for an other 5 minutes. I checked task manager for CPU usage but it won't top 5%. After the 5 minutes the connection icon appears in the taskbar and all the internet application show on the screen.

I tried to boot without internet cable. That way it boots normally and the no connection sign appears almost immediately. Then when I plug in the cable it connects within seconds and everything runs normal.

Does anyone has an idea how to fix this problem?

Safe mode

I would try starting in safe mode to see if it still happens. If it does, then it gets a little more complicated. You will probably need a trained technician to help you.

Don't have a clue. What are you using to discover if you have an infestation of some kind?

If it were mine, I would shut down the system, analyze every component, then run a complete new install, paying close attention to your motherboard setup and software, and other connections... as well as the CPU. Then play close attention to all drivers.

Very likely it is something so simple, that you have overlooked the cause.

Back