Windows XP startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee290

yea my computer was running fine a couple of days ago. then i stopped using it for awhile so i decided to shut it off. then i tried turning it back on but its seems to freeze at the start up screen. well it doesn't even reach the windows logo. i pressed f8 to go to the advanced startup options (safemode, normal etc) and i chose to boot it with the last known working configuration. after selecting that, it resets my computer then i choose to boot windows normally then my computer freezes. any suggestions?

Is it an eMachines computer? What you describe is typical of failing eMachines, but is otherwise an indication that your hard drive has gone bad.... though it could result from a large number of other causes.
If not, give us the brand, model, age, OS.
Very often, hard drives fail first on the first four sectors, where the boot data is stored, as the magnetic material on the platters starts to peel up , or ripple.

hey yea its not an eMachine like u thought it was but it is a custom made pc.
its about 4-5 years old and its Windows XP Professional. I'm also pretty sure that the harddrive died, but u never no ;p

You might want to try your hard drive in another machine. I suspect it is worn out. Do not demand too much of it, if you have valuable data to recover. Your chances of saving that data are good by installing it as a slave, then dragging and dropping... It may not boot, but if it turns, and is jumpered as a slave with the other as master, you can usually save most stuff... either by dragging and dropping... or by using recovery software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back