Windows XP stop error c000021a

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeWizKev826

Sorry if the information i'm about to give you isn't really related to the title, but that title is the only real hard evidence i could refer to for my computers problem.

For those of you that do not know, this problem prevents me from being able to get into my computer at all. There is no Windows XP loading screen. Once I turn my computer on, I go straight to this bsod. However, what does happen prior to this is a screen that says, "Vaio recovery utility starting". Once the utility starts,I hit this blue screen.

So for what happened before this error...I was using System Mechanic Professional 7. Brand spanking new, bought it from frys. I did a deep scan of my computer and what do you know, it says my hard drive has some errors. I decide to repair the errors. My computer then prompts me to restart it. I do as it says, and then upon restart, my computer freezes at the welcome screen. I decide to restart it. After that, I get an error that says (as best to my memory) "cannot find \WIndows\System32\Config\System try putting in the Windows XP setup disc and press r to fix it". At this point, I can't log in to my computer at all.

I then try recovery console. This recovery console i used is instead of a disc, there's an option to access it through the main startup process. When it starts up, I get a bsod. I then used the actual xp disc, but to my memory, recovery console was quite different. Instead of accessing the drive, like when you choose which installation, i don't get the option at all. I tried chkdsk, but it says you have an unrecoverable option. I started panicking at this point.

Before this crash, i used sytem mechanic to make a disaster recovery disc, which to my luck, doesn't work at all. I tried to use it to check my master boot record to see if its corrupted which i believe it is. First time using it, it says there's an error. I try to fix it and nothing happens. It says to restart drive medic. All the following attempts, I get either a restarting prompt, or it says there is no error on your computer.

I tried using the XP setup disc to repair my computer entirely, resetting it back to SP1 but keeping all the files I had, but the disc didn't even detect WIndows XP on my computer. It just says "unknown disc".

btw, after i tried all those options, what happens to my computer now, is what my title says. I just get that error, and thats it.

I'm really sorry for the huge block of text, but i just wanted to get out what I did already to narrow down options.

Thanks for the help, and I hope my computer isn't totally screwed, because I still have important data on it.

EDIT: go to my newest post to read my latest update on my problem.

Hey PokeWizKev826

When your computer restarts press the F8 key and hold it in till a menu pops up.... choose the option that says "Last Known Good Configuration" ....

That might help you log into Windows at least and give you some time to get your data safe.... Another option is to try accessing your drive on another computer with your drive as a slave.... Once your data is safe you'll feel better about trying other methods of saving your entire disk.

Spyder_1386 :)

Hmm, i tried doing the f8 as you recommended, but whenever i try it, I only come to a screen that says "Please select boot device". Then it shows my disc drives and my floppy drive.

As for your other recommendation of making the drive a slave, i'll definitely try that one.

Hey again PokeWizKev826

Yea do try inserting your disk as a slave on someone else's pc.... the Windows XP loaded on the other computer will automatically try and fix your operating system and if it doesn't, you should still be able to create a back-up of your important files....

You might want to try installing a fresh copy of XP onto your disk whilst its acting as a slave too.... first try reinstalling a fresh copy and if that doesn't work then only proceed to format your disk...

Spyder_1386 :)

Its been awhile because I've been deciding to wait for System Mechanic's tech support to e-mail me back seeing how as I was unsure if there was a possible option I missed to fix it. I waited aboutl like 2 weeks or so and so far all i've gotten is a recommendation to upgrade to a newer version of system mechanic. It seems as their tech support is really unreliable in these matters. They did however forward me to this site - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 - telling how to recover from it. I really didn't understand how to do any of it. So I tried to take my computer to a techie friend I have. So I unplugged my computer from the power, and when I brought it to my friends house, its like brand new. Everything has been reset. All my original files and stuff are gone. And my computer is basically like what it was when i first bought it.

Personally I think this is impossible as the computer never prompted me in asking if I would like to continue with erasing your hard drive or anything of that sort. I just simply unplugged my computer and brought it to a friend's house. So my real question is, is it possible to get the info back by myself? Or should i bring it to a computer repair shop or something to remedy my problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back