Windows XP trying to load Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatzu

Ok, just wanted to ask a quick question as I'm reformatting my other computer and reinstalling Windows XP.

My computer has been fine over the passed 3 years, with the occasional random freeze up every now and then which is no biggy. If ya really need my computer specs I can throw them in, but I just had a quick question.

My computer froze today so I simply rebooted and while rebooting I saw a quick flash of the Windows 98 screen appear. I said to myself, "Wtf was that? Did I just see Windows 98 loading up?" Before I could even answer my own question, I get the Windows 98 Start Up Selection Screen, asking me how I would like to start Windows 98 since an error occured. My mind is now totally boggled. I've never had 98 installed on my other computer and this was the first time I've ever seen or heard anything like this.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever seen or had this problem, and what they did to correct it other then reformatting and reinstalling their OS.

Thanks ahead of time.

That`s totally weird and I don`t have a clue what it might be.

The only possible thing I can think of, is it`s some kind of malware problem.

Can you get into safe mode, or any mode come to that?

Regards Howard :)

Nope, if I select any of the options it just tells me that certain files are missing or corrupt, such as Himem.sys, Command.com, IFHelp.sys etc.

If I let the 30 second timer run out, it does the same thing, so it never gets passed that point. So far its the weirdest thing I've seen happen to a computer. Maybe I should be glad it happened to me. =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back