Windows XP USB problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

madzach2000

hello

i have had my Hp d530 for about a year or two now and since i have had it the usb 2.0 hasn't worked.
when i bought this computer xp sp2 pro was already installed on it all i had to do is type in the product key and configure settings

i later installed sp3

here is a link to my pc

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=316713

my usb mouse , network card , and keyboard all work fine but if i try to plug other various devices such as mass storage devices in it tells me that the mass storage device has malfunctioned.
i no for fact thats not true because i use it all the time in other computers

the only solution i have found is to plug the devices that dont work into my 4 port usb 2.0 hub that i bought from walmart the only problem with that is that coping files takes forever

i have updated my bios to the latest version i have takin hours looking for drivers

has anyone had this problem?

is their any good sites for free drivers?

i love this computer and have put a lot of work into it.

please help

=> You can download and try reinstall chipset drivers as indicated in a prior post
=> As to basic Windows USB drivers, they are included as part of Windows XP. You can also try
Reinstall the USB controllers
- Note!: If you use a USB keyboard/mouse you will temporarily lose your connection
==> Best to keep your mouse connection (keyboard doesn’t matter) so you can maintain point/click control
==> Check if your computer has a PS/2 (or other) connector that supports a mouse connection
==> Buy an adapter to convert USB to connector type needed (adapters are a few bucks)

• Check Device Manager's USB device names
  • For each name indicates Controller, Rt click Uninstall
    < Example: Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller >
  • After uninstalling all the controllers reboot. They are are reinstalled for you from Windows system driver library

If that doesn't work, post back. Still several other things to try

(fyi....Windows loads device driver and device connection info when the device is first inserted and connected. HOWEVER, this info is NOT deleted when the device is simply removed. ONLY when the device is uninstalled. This usually helps Windows reconnect a device the next time even quicker but can sometimes have just the opposite affect!)

ok

i tried unistalling the controllers and letting them reinstall
it didnt work but i figured out that the controller called
82801ed usb2 enhanced host controller makes usb high speed
and by disabling it ,it lets the flash drive work but it slows down everything and puts it into low speed
which not only doesn't solve the problem with flash drive it slows down my network card too

i had to turn it back on to get online

for some reason my computer will only load flash drives in low speed

that explains why the low speed hub works with flash drives.
i also tried putting in a usb pci hub before i figured the other stuff out
thx a lot for the help if it wasn't for you i wouldn't have figured that out

should i try this

ok

i tried unistalling the controllers and letting them reinstall
it didnt work but i figured out that the controller called
82801ed usb2 enhanced host controller makes usb high speed
and by disabling it ,it lets the flash drive work but it slows down everything and puts it into low speed
which not only doesn't solve the problem with flash drive it slows down my network card too

i had to turn it back on to get online

for some reason my computer will only load flash drives in low speed

that explains why the low speed hub works with flash drives.
i also tried putting in a usb pci hub before i figured the other stuff out
thx a lot for the help if it wasn't for you i wouldn't have figured that out

should i try this

=> You can download and try reinstall chipset drivers as indicated in a prior post
=> As to basic Windows USB drivers, they are included as part of Windows XP. You can also try
Reinstall the USB controllers
- Note!: If you use a USB keyboard/mouse you will temporarily lose your connection
==> Best to keep your mouse connection (keyboard doesn’t matter) so you can maintain point/click control
==> Check if your computer has a PS/2 (or other) connector that supports a mouse connection
==> Buy an adapter to convert USB to connector type needed (adapters are a few bucks)

• Check Device Manager's USB device names
  • For each name indicates Controller, Rt click Uninstall
    < Example: Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller >
  • After uninstalling all the controllers reboot. They are are reinstalled for you from Windows system driver library

If that doesn't work, post back. Still several other things to try

(fyi....Windows loads device driver and device connection info when the device is first inserted and connected. HOWEVER, this info is NOT deleted when the device is simply removed. ONLY when the device is uninstalled. This usually helps Windows reconnect a device the next time even quicker but can sometimes have just the opposite affect!)

Check the bios - many have options for enabling and disabling various USB modes, such as 1,2,3, all modes auto and so forth.

none of these protain to my problem thx tho

im not sure as i cant find the motherbaord model but im pretty sure that your motherbaord as onboard USB headers.

You could try purchasing a cheap USB 2.0 Exspansion card for your PC as there should be one exspansion slot at the back.

Of course this does not explain why your USB drive does not work but you could try downlaod the drivers from the HP website for your product and reinstalling the CHIPSET drivers.

Hope this helps you

had one laying around

nothing changed

still have the same problem

thx tho

First off, very good :grinthumb for discovering the USB 2.0 controller on your own.
fyi... For any version of Windows, when looking at USB devices in Device Manager you should see the word Enhanced for the USB 2.0 controller​
You can go looking for USB related BIOS options.. but don't yet worry about correct settings till you see the options asked for.
You may only have an option of USB Legacy Support (which you want ENABLED so your USB keyboard/mouse work even before Windows is loaded/started)​

And next...
1) Note what i said earlier about device data remaining after a device is removed? Download and run USBDeview to see all the USB descriptors still saved.
2) Also, as it sounds as though you may be comfortable looking at things from a "system" detail/perspective i'll also refer you to this link. . It happens to also have a download link for a different tool, USBView, you may also find interesting to look at.

After you've looked through the above can discuss anything you find as well as
3) Uninstall/reinstall ALL USB devices (is easy to do it via USBDeview) but make sure you can re-install any device specific drivers you see that Windows won't automatically re-install for you
4) We can clear all disconnected volume/disk info (another tool.. would have to point to) which may also help as your problem may simply be due old/stale data still hanging around we just need to find/clear out

/* EDIT */
Oh. And as to your questions about the "should i try this" link that appears to apply to Windows embedded software (like you might find in a PDA device) so don't think it would apply

ok

so i uninstalled all devices and the controller drivers

reinstalled all devices and controllers still same problem

i took a look around my bios

i found 3 intell usb controller options uder pci devices

all had options irq5 ,irq10 ,irq11 ,and disable

my computer hides sm bus from me

not sure why
and i found a s5 wake on lan option

i dont know what s5 is.

thx a lot for this your the only one helping me so i hope we can figure this out so that anyone else with this issue can fix it.

Will try to help as best i can....

Let me first confirm something.
I skimmed through your posts again and want to make certain i understand you correctly

If you plug a USB mass storage device into any of USB ports that are built-in / part of your computer
a) always says MASS STORAGE error?
b) always SOME error? maybe not just mass storage? (MASS STORAGE or if not MASS STORAGE some other error)
c) does it ever connect correctly but just not at USB 2.0 speeds?

And what types of USB mass storage devices have you tried attaching (just curious if has been same USB drive or multiple drives and/or flash drive, etc)

can you tell me the current setting for each option (don't change it, just current setting)

not sure why
not sure what you mean.. are you saying you don't see it in Device Manager? see this link

You found this on a USB device? s5 is one of the power management states. You must have a USB network adapter i'd guess

Will post this now. But keep an eye out for an /* EDIT */ to appear at end of this post as still want to look up that other tool and you try something too

/* EDIT1 */
Actually, not an edit for the tool i mentioned but check. Open Device Manager, click View->Resource by Type, click IRQ. What IRQ is displayed for each controller? What other devices share the same IRQ?

EDIT2 as for the tool
1.) Download and unzip the file drivecleanup.exe into C:\Windows\system32 drivecleanup
2. Start->Run, enter cmd. From command prompt enter code below. This command with -T option will not remove anything. ONLY display what would otherwise be removed if you run it without the -T option
Code:
drivecleanup -T
Unless you first have any question about what it you see will be removed, run drivecleanup. Try a USB device and see if any change. fyi.. these are all currently unconnected devices you see listed

ok so my computer used to say that it found new hardware, it would try to install
then it would say that your device has malfunctioned and couldn't find the device in my computer

but now it installs says that its ready to use i can see it but if i try to look at what is on it its empty the only way i can see what is in it is by running at lower speeds.

ifound 3 intell usb controller options uder pci devices
can you tell me the current setting for each option (don't change it, just current setting)
yes i can i will edit this message after a reboot and another look

not sure why
not sure what you mean.. are you saying you don't see it in Device Manager? see this link

what i mean is in my bios it shows what is hidden from me
it says smbus is hidden and everything elso on the list is not
just ignore that it has nothing to do with the usb problem.

You found this on a USB device? s5 is one of the power management states. You must have a USB network adapter i'd guess

yep my network card is the reason why i dont want to use low speeds

ok so my computer used to say that it found new hardware, it would try to install
then it would say that your device has malfunctioned and couldn't find the device in my computer

but now it installs says that its ready to use i can see it but if i try to look at what is on the files are not their and it says that the device has 0 mb total, the only way i can see what is in it is by running at lower speeds.

my network card uses usb, it works great and from what usb view says it runs at top speed my usb wireless mouse runs off usb and works fine, it seems to just be storage devices

here are a few examples of what i plug in that doesnt work unless in low speeds
psp micro sd cards insignia mp3

i was not sure what you wanted me to do in device manager so i hope this helps

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/kabuto_101/irq.jpg

yes i can i will edit this message after a reboot and another look

not sure why

what i mean is in my bios it shows what is hidden from me
it says smbus is hidden and everything elso on the list is not
just ignore that it has nothing to do with the usb problem.

yep my network card is the reason why i dont want to use low speeds (because it reduces my range and signal by a lot)

EDIT the first usb controller is set to IRQ 10 and when i change it it also automatically changes the vga controller and my sound card controller
(seems that this one has to be set on the same IRQ as vga and my sound card to work)

the second usb controller on the list is set to IRQ 5 no other controllers change when i change it

and finally the third is set to IRQ 10 and no other controller is effected when i change the IRQ.

just to pass this along... Don't know if related to your problem.. but just noticed this and is specific to your computer model so can't comment. But here's what i found in one of the HP guide's

Serial, Parallel, USB, or Infrared Interface Control
=> Prevents transfer of data through the integrated serial, parallel, USB (universal serial bus), or infrared interface.
=> Access From the Computer SetupUtilities (F10) menu.

just to pass this along... Don't know if related to your problem.. but just noticed this and is specific to your computer model so can't comment. But here's what i found in one of the HP guide's

Serial, Parallel, USB, or Infrared Interface Control
=> Prevents transfer of data through the integrated serial, parallel, USB (universal serial bus), or infrared interface.
=> Access From the Computer SetupUtilities (F10) menu.

i found the web page

ok so basically what it was telling me is that i can disable the read and write capabilities on my computer (dont worry they are both enabled)
but thx for that cuz i couldn't find a bios guide like this

Glad you found it (forgot to save other link)

as for the Device Manager IRQ data you reported
Maybe i don't correctly recall all the details behind how Windows plug and play works / should be config'ed and how all that applies to USB (and there are a number and variety of details so I could well be wrong) and will have to investigate. But off-hand am surprised to see, (right or wrong in my suprise)

1. Each USB controller set to a different IRQ: 16, 19, and 23 (vs all the same IRQ)
2. IRQ 16 is shared by a USB controller as well as other devices (usually USB controllers don't like sharing with other then non-USB controllers)
3. And aside from above, i thought typically one would leave the IRQ assignments up to Windows plug-and-play OS rather explicit assignments in BIOS
All of the above i need to double check.

Do you see any BIOS options to enable/disable something like Plug and Play BIOS or Plug and Play OS (though i also see your IRQ device list includes Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System which i think implies you should be ok for Plug and Play. just don't remember off-hand.

Need to re-check the details on all of this so will take a little time to update you (and me) on this info.

ok

i think i just made a break through

could it be that i need a beefer psu or something like that?

when i unplug my nework card the usb flash drive works full speed i have tried this three times and it seems to be constant

got any ideas?

hehe... well, i see we both posted about the same time....

i do want to still follow-up and double check any question i have about IRQ assignments vs. Windows plug-and-play vs. USB. Could you please do the following (so i can be sure to know all the underlying detail)
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Devices (only click for Physical Devices and PCI devices as otherwise output is way too big)
  • Attach the report file (do NOT copy/paste) to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

oh.. and one thing i did note already..... the usb controllers will share with other devices. So that point is ok

there you are

I messed around with the IRQ settings about a month ago

10 5 and 10 are not the default

the default is IRQ 10 10 and 11

LOL.. well, that was quick!

and just a quick observation as this is also odd as
EDIT the first usb controller is set to IRQ 10 and when i change it it also automatically changes the vga controller and my sound card controller
(seems that this one has to be set on the same IRQ as vga and my sound card to work)
Windows reports IRQ 16 assigned to these 3 devices that, indeed, share the IRQ request number

the second usb controller on the list is set to IRQ 5 no other controllers change when i change it
IRQ 19 assigned

and finally the third is set to IRQ 10 and no other controller is effected when i change the IRQ.
IRQ 23 assigned
so don't know if windows is still doing some re-assignment or what up.. i'll need to find out

I messed around with the IRQ settings about a month ago

10 5 and 10 are not the default

the default is IRQ 10 10 and 11
OH! maybe the plot thickens.. (just guessing but is interesting that you note the above)

you also stated
If you actually set to DISABLE, is the controller disabled with no irq assignment or might that do something else (might be a stretch as "disable" bios assignment and leave it all to windows) but is it possible to try and see what your IRQ assignments are for that case? (you check by the Device Manager, View->Resource by Connection should show you)

/* EDIT */
btw ..... a cool tool and easy way to copy (so you can PASTE) all that Device Manager text data

well, a quick look before bed didn't lay it down as well as i would have like but let me point me to a few things and you can decide how to interpret them.

Generally, varied articles and KBs discussing XP and managing devices.. plus issues about IRQ and assignment and use by USB

A general description of IRQ sharing in Windows XP

Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP
Here they state Incorrectly-configured root hub
USB controllers require that an IRQ be assigned. The IRQ line is assigned in the computer's BIOS, and usually IRQ 9 is assigned. which i read (and in general seen) mean all the USB controllers share an IRQ)

Managing Devices...not long but a good paper to read throught

And not certain but perhaps you should expect Bandwidth exceeded message is the problem was too hi speed devices? see 884470 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884470/ ) USB Controller Bandwidth Exceeded" error message when you stream video through a USB camera

OH! maybe the plot thickens.. (just guessing but is interesting that you note the above)

you also stated
If you actually set to DISABLE, is the controller disabled with no irq assignment or might that do something else (might be a stretch as "disable" bios assignment and leave it all to windows) but is it possible to try and see what your IRQ assignments are for that case? (you check by the Device Manager, View->Resource by Connection should show you)

/* EDIT */
btw ..... a cool tool and easy way to copy (so you can PASTE) all that Device Manager text data

WITH DEFAULT
==================================================
String : (PCI) 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Value : 0x001442F0
Handle : 0x000ED828
Parent : 0x00137A20
Indent : 2

String : (PCI) 19 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Value : 0x00144368
Handle : 0x001379E8

String : (PCI) 23 Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
Value : 0x00144390
Handle : 0x00139038

WITH 10 5 and 10

Did not change

DISABLE

pc wont boot or just takes a really long time i estimate 15 min sit wating for my computer to start

well, a quick look before bed didn't lay it down as well as i would have like but let me point me to a few things and you can decide how to interpret them.

Generally, varied articles and KBs discussing XP and managing devices.. plus issues about IRQ and assignment and use by USB

A general description of IRQ sharing in Windows XP

Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP
Here they state Incorrectly-configured root hub
USB controllers require that an IRQ be assigned. The IRQ line is assigned in the computer's BIOS, and usually IRQ 9 is assigned. which i read (and in general seen) mean all the USB controllers share an IRQ)

Managing Devices...not long but a good paper to read throught

And not certain but perhaps you should expect Bandwidth exceeded message is the problem was too hi speed devices? see 884470 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884470/ ) USB Controller Bandwidth Exceeded" error message when you stream video through a USB camera
nope but i read through anyways on the camera problem

my first advice will be reinstall xp.................if the problem remain then bring it to the service center.........................

Hi madzach2000 :wave:

Just happened across the thread again. Couldn't help but wonder if you had any luck / what you did since the last time we posted about your USB issues?

well
i stopped looking for a solution
i am completely stumped

thx for all your help tho
i learned a bunch of stuff in trying to fix this
so at least it wasn't a complete fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back