TechSpot

Windows XP user logon "Welcome movie"

By marcusfaye87
May 7, 2008
  1. Hi I'm a new member and I found this site by searching resources on trying to customise my windows XP user logon.

So far I have not been succesfull.

This is my problem:

For those of you who know the game "Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun";
    the game starts with a movie called "Eva uploading".
    That movie ends with a tekst printing across the screen ("Welcome Back Commander")

I have extracted that part of the video and turned it into an AVI video file.

Now I want to use that movie when the user logs in.

So when the user logs in I want to show the movie fullscreen BEFORE everything is loaded (taskbar, desktop etc...);

I have tried some things using VLC media player:
    - adding a shortcut to the startup folder
    - adding a registry item in various places

Now the closest I've gotten is by putting the item in the
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
    registry.

This played the movie while the screen of windows XP still said "Welcome". So I only got the sound and not the movie. And there is the fact that the RunOnce clears itself every reboot, so that doesn't help.

the only possible way to display a movie right after the "Welcome" appears (or instead of that Welcome text) is to alter it in windows itself, but I have no idea where to start.

Getting this solved would help me a LOT.

Thanks in advance,
    Marcus

2. marcusfaye87

marcusfaye87 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Just to clarify, I want a fullscreen movie to run (preferrably without a player like VLC) before explorer.exe runs, when the movie finished, then the normal booting should commence.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.