TechSpot

Windows XP/Vista Setup won't load

By JesseMM
May 9, 2009
  1. I decided to get working again my other old pc. It has no OS Installed, harddrive is blank, i was using the harddrive of it on the new computer, but then i decided to put it back, so i reformatted it, then put it back on the old pc. But can't install an OS, since whenever i do so, It says' Boot from CD/DVD, when on windows xp, it just hang up. But on vista, it loads, but later on, an error will appear.

The Harddrive is working on the new pc.

Not sure where the problem is, I already replaced the IDE Cables to a new one, which still not fixed the problem

2. JesseMM

JesseMM TS Rookie Topic Starter

Bump, please can someone know the problem is.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

Is the CD drive first in the boot order?

4. JesseMM

Yep the CD Drive is in the first boot order.

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

was th OS of this machine originally a genuine "Wnidows" disc, or did it come with restore discs?

6. JesseMM

It's an Original Windows XP Disc.
    My windows vista pc, could read it. But i dunno why the other one could'nt.

7. JesseMM

bump. please, really need help.
    Could it be possible that the problem is on the harddisk?

I tried removing the current hard disk on the working pc, then putted the other harddisk, same problem occurs, seems that its having a hardtime to read.

But kinda weird, if you just add the other harddisk to the working computer, so there will be 2 harddisk on the working pc, the pc could read it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.