Windows XP, Weird Problem!!

By sonofisis
Aug 28, 2005
  1. Every time i leave my computer on over night and wake up in the morning, as I try to open a program, the sand time object pops up, and no programs will open unless i restart.. I even look in my task manager, and any given program that wasn't already running, that i try to open, will say it's only taking 60kb's of memory, and won't build beyond that to even try and open..

Does something happen when i leave my computer on and unattended for a long time, that causes programs not to open?... I always have to restart, then it's fine, what's going on?
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

you have a program or service running in the background.... find out which one it is. BTW- you posted in the wrong forum.
  3. sonofisis

sonofisis TS Rookie Topic Starter

How in the world do i find out what program or service it is? And i'm new, i was confused as to where to post this, where should I have posted?
  4. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 231

and of course do not forget to run a spyware/adaware and virus scan.
  5. sonofisis

It's not an Adware problem, and i've recently done a full system scan with the latest version of Kaspersky.. Plus, I see nothing in my task manager that shouldn't be there.. Could it be a registry problem? Even tho i scan with registry mechanic all of the time..

6. sonofisis

NEVERMIND, i think i see where it should of been posted..
  7. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 231

*should have went into the OS & Software> windows OS *

one thing although it doesn't seem like it should..

one of your drivers or possibly a system process is failing when you are away.

check event viewer for any errors.

right click my computer>click manage> go to event viewer.. errors will show up red.

post most recent errors.
  8. sonofisis

ok, thanx.. and they might as well erase this thread, since it's in the wrong place.. and i've checked, i see that most errors are from Application... and the most recent one is from something called Service Control Manager, Today at 10:33, saying that my Outpost firewall shut off unexpectedly..
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.