Windows XP will not boot.... I have no idea what is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

theDUDE124

Hello, my custom-made PC that someone gave me about a year ago has recently died, this time perhaps for good.

The problem occured after I moved the chasis perhaps too forcefully and it bumped into my computer desk. The monitor instantly stopped receiving a signal and went into hibernation, though the CPU itself still seemed to be running.

Since then, whenever I turn on the computer, it receives power but I have not been able to receive a monitor signal even after using several different monitors and two different graphic cards. The connections are all secure and legit.

At this point I am unsure if the computer itself is even booting at all, as I have waited a while after boot and pressed Enter to logon to Windows, and I do not hear the Windows Logon Sound, so it is likely it is not reaching the Logon screen at all.

Any advice/suggestions here would be very helpful. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I am not exactly sure the make/model of the computer b.c as I've said, it was custom-made and I received it from a friend.

Unplug the computer from the wall. Remove the side, and re seat any cards like video and memory modules... The CPU should be okay as long as it's fan/heatsink is still seated and intact

Yes everything is intact, and all connections are secure. That's actually the first thing I checked. Like I said I've also tried using different monitors, different graphics cards....

At first glance it appears to be a monitor-connection issue, but I think it may be more than that. Like I said, although there is no monitor connection, I wait awhile after boot and press Enter to try and log-in, but I don't hear the windows login welcome sound, so I'm assuming it's not booting at all....

Anyone else ever had a problem like this? At any rate I am buying a new barebones PC kit: Motherboard, CPU, powersupply, fan--assuming that the problem was isolated to one of these components.

However I would like to make sure so if anyone has any ideas on what this may be plz reply....

theDUDE124,
There is actually more than one reason why a computer would do this. Please write down everything step by step from what your computer does from when you push the power button. Does it beep at you while booting? How many times does it beep at you? Does it show the BIOS information on the boot up? Usually a computer will tell you something is wrong if it beeps at you on the boot up. (One beep is a good sign usually)

As a guess in your situation i'm going to say your motherboard has gone bad on you. Reason I say this is that if you have an onboard graphics and the sound is onboard also and they both go out, then its points to that. (even though the motherboard will still allow the other components to light up) Post us what your computer does.

Ok, thank you for you reply.

I turn on power button. No beep.

Green light briefly lights up the monitor activity button, then switches to orange (no signal).

"No signal" message appears on monitor briefly, then dissapears. Other than that no other graphics at all have been displayed. No BIOS or anything. Nothing.

Motherboard Fan is humming but otherwise makes no other noises or loading sounds.

That is all....

As you can see it's VERY unresponsive. Pretty much just quietly turns on and absolutely nothing happens....

If you need any more info just ask. I'm really hoping a new MB, CPU, Fan, and Power Supply will solve this problem....

Take the computer to a friend or a repair shop that understands how to troubleshoot computer problems. Sometimes another set of hands can find things another has missed

Yeah, I am building a new computer. I'm just re-using the hard drive, graphics card, monitor, and CD-drive. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this problem and could isolate it to MB, PS, and etc.... But I'm assuming this will fix the problem hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back