Windows XP will not boot on my laptop Error #2-07 on hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickylee53

Windows XP will not boot on my laptop Error #2-07 on HDD. (Now with Minidump file)

Hello, this is my first post here. I did try to search but didn't find anything.

Right, so my problem.

I have a HP laptop and a HP computer come TV, unfortunetaly they share the same remote. So when i turned off my TV last night, my laptop turned on. It was 2 o'clock so i pressed the off button on my laptop, as i've done many times.

This morning the laptop wouldn't boot.

It took me to the screen,

Safe
Safe with network...

Last known good

and boot windows normally.

None of them work. It goes to the windows XP screen, then i get the blue splash and it turns off.

I did a hard drive check in bios, and it came up with the HD error #2-07, (not sure if this means anything to any1)?

I'm wanting to backup all my files before i reinstall windows. Been a laptop i can't just take out the hard drive and put it in my PC. Couldn't i buy a USB and install windows on there and possibly boot from that?

If so could some1 tell me how to do this, Or is there a way to fix my problem?

Many thanks in advance.

You can use Knoppix to transfer the data to an external storage device.

The blue screen that flashes in front of your is a BSOD, your Windows installation is just configured to automatically restart on errors. While you're using Knoppix navigate to the Windows\Minidump folder and there ought to be some .dmp files there. If you can, extract them too and post them here.

If you don't have the patience for someone here to read your .dmp files, attempt a repair installation of Windows and if that fails and you've successfully extracted your data, admit defeat and completely reinstall Windows.

Zenosincks said:

The blue screen that flashes in front of your is a BSOD, your Windows installation is just configured to automatically restart on errors. While you're using Knoppix navigate to the Windows\Minidump folder and there ought to be some .dmp files there. If you can, extract them too and post them here.

If you don't have the patience for someone here to read your .dmp files, attempt a repair installation of Windows and if that fails and you've successfully extracted your data, admit defeat and completely reinstall Windows.

Many thanks for your help.

I'm guessing that a CD to boot from? But where can I get the actual program from? Can i download it on my PC then burn it to disc?

:D

Man

Zenosincks said:
Download the .iso and burn that as an image to CD. Then, boot off of it.

Many thanks for that, I've just started the download. I'l burn it onto a disc later today and put it onto my laptop and try it. I'l then try and post the dmp files if i can.

Thanks again for your help :)

Zenosincks said:
:) Not trying to pick at your words, just don't want you to be mislead. Sorry if I came off the wrong way.

No problems,

I've downloaded, wrote to disc and put it into my laptop.

I then went into boot order and put the CD/DVD as the first option, but it still trys to boot into windows.

It's a laptop, i remember years ago you had to press a button to boot to disc. But i can't remember which button it was. Of if there is another, different problem.

To add, there's no exclamation mark at the side of the CD so i presume it's working correctly.

Is there an option to bring up a boot menu? Perhaps F8 or F12?

Try and totally remove the HDD from your boot sequence in the BIOS for the time being if you have to :).

Zenosincks said:
Is there an option to bring up a boot menu? Perhaps F8 or F12?

Try and totally remove the HDD from your boot sequence in the BIOS for the time being if you have to :).

Esc to get the boot menu, On which the CD is first device.

F10 to get in BIOS but it doesn't let you totally remove the HDD i don't think, and CD is currently first in there also.

Could I have copied the disc wrong? I can't open the file on my PC but haven't tried to boot to it on my PC.

If you're 100% sure that your optical drive is head of your HDD, yes, it's a very distinct possibility that you've burned the CD wrong. You cannot just burn it as a data CD, it needs to be burned as an image as noted in my post above.

Zenosincks said:
If you're 100% sure that your optical drive is head of your HDD, yes, it's a very distinct possibility that you've burned the CD wrong. You cannot just burn it as a data CD, it needs to be burned as an image as noted in my post above.

Ah right, yes, i didn't copy it correctly i don't think. I just simply dragged and dropped it in and pressed copy, what software would you recommend to do it? is there anything i can download?

EDIT;

I've managed to find some software, now i just need to find a disc that's nto 1.2 mb short on space. DOH! :)

I believe Knoppix does support Network capabilities, however, I'm not sure if they're pre-enabled or if you've got to configure anything. I'm also not sure how reliable it is. Check their dedicated support site/forum.

From what I can remember the last time I used it, I accessed the USB drive right from the desktop along with the other storage devices. You might have to right click on the USB drive and enable the write feature via properties or something.

Zenosincks said:
I believe Knoppix does support Network capabilities, however, I'm not sure if they're pre-enabled or if you've got to configure anything. I'm also not sure how reliable it is. Check their dedicated support site/forum.

From what I can remember the last time I used it, I accessed the USB drive right from the desktop along with the other storage devices. You might have to right click on the USB drive and enable the write feature via properties or something.

I don't have anything like that on the desktop, just got Knoppix, my HDD and Trash. I'l keep looking through see if i can see anything.

Perhaps your USB drive isn't detected? Is the light on the drive lit? Try unplugging it, and plugging it back in. Also, try another USB port.

No lights on my laptop, I can't really find anything USB related apart from USB viewer, that made little/no sence at all, and was comparable to USB installer for say a printer or camera.

I'l keep looking or look on the other site.

Zenosincks said:

Thanks a lot for all your help upto now, and i've now managed to save all my important documents. :D

I'l try and get the file you want now, i've got it on my PC, how can i get it up onto here so people can look at it though? i don't know where to host it.

Thanks again :D

You can directly attach it to your post here. Look below the text box that you type into when you click "Post Reply".

Doh, so it does :)

Please let me know if you need anything else. Any help much appreciated :)

Attachments

• Mini022708-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 9
Can anybody tell me if the minidump file was correctly posted?

Is there anything i can do to get my laptop working again? or should i try and reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back