Windows XP won't start in safe mode

I am stuck. I have a Dell D610 Latitude laptop. I tried turning it on today and windows would not load. Each time I turn my pc on, windows xp logo page comes on and then goes to a screen where it says the following:
"We apologize for the invonvenience< but Windows id not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this..."
It says more then gives several options of starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc.

When I choose "last known Good Configuration" option, the logo page reloads for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank and nothing else happens.

When I choose any of the "safe mode" options, a list of command lines begin executing and then stops at this command line:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\Mup.sys

and the computer just freezes. I do not have a Windows XP installation disk as everything came preloaded when I bought the pc. I do not know what other things that I could possibly try. HELP.

You have a failing hard drive. Be prepared to have Windows re-loaded fresh on a new hard drive. You may loose all your data, but it might be recoverable

Back