Windows XP won't startup, keep getting errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

beth1129

Please somebody help!

After installing some updates my computer went to restart and now Windows XP won't start. I've tried F8 and trying to start in Safe Mode and it just restarts itself. I've tried to go back to last know good configuration and it will get to the Admin logon and then it just stops. The only one I have some luck with is the "Directory Services Restore Mode", I am able to get my files and data off, but it won't let me run any kind of system restore or any other programs.

After I got my files off, I tried to do a system recovery with the CD my computer came with, but it didn't start up.

I've tried everything I could think of, so maybe someone else knows of something else I can try.

The errors it keeps giving me when it gets to admin logon :
svchost.exe-- application error
0x6bfa9ad3
0x6bfa9be7
and also
winlogon.exe error

Here's a step by step guide on re-installing Windows, using a standard Windows setup disc

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Hi,

Thanks for your reply; I really appreciate it.

I have tried to use my install cd to try and fix the problem, however, the Cd doesn't open or do anything.

It just keeps trying to start and ends on the Logon.

And unfortunately, I can't use floppy disks because I don't have a floppy drive.

Again, if anyone else has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them......

Thanks

I tried to do a system recovery with the CD my computer came with, but it didn't start up.
When first starting your computer up, you should see a prompt like press DEL or F2 or some other key, to get to System Setup (or BIOS or CMOS) settings

Once in System Setup screen, locate the boot order, and make sure CD is the first bootable option. Then save and exit (usually press F10 for that)

Then try to boot (start) from the CD

Yeah,

Yeah I've chosen F1 to go to Setup... then
I've went to BIOS and changed the settings so that the CDrom would run first and restarted the computer......

The CD drive will buzz a little and then it stops and then the same old thing happens........

trys to boot up and stops at the logon........

About booting CDs (or DVDs)

First they must be a bootable disc (all standard Windows setup discs are)
Next the drive must be configured to CD as first boot option and saved in bios settings like that
Next best to do a cold boot, ie not restart, but actually turn off and then turn back on
Next the CD must be clean (no scratches, dirt or anything)
Next the CD Drive must actually work (they do fault)

All in all a bootable disc must boot

About booting CDs (or DVDs)

First they must be a bootable disc (all standard Windows setup discs are)
Next the drive must be configured to CD as first boot option and saved in bios settings like that
Next best to do a cold boot, ie not restart, but actually turn off and then turn back on
Next the CD must be clean (no scratches, dirt or anything)
Next the CD Drive must actually work (they do fault)

All in all a bootable disc must boot

I'm so confused, I'm not sure what I'm missing......

The disc that I have is the one that came with the computer......it says System Recovery CD-- Windows Xp home edition (that's bootable, right?)
The Cd is configured in Bios to boot first......
I shutdown the computer using the logon menu, waited for it to turn off and then turned it back on....(that's a cold boot, right?)
The Cd itself is perfect, just out of the packaging....
so, could it just be a bad disc? how would i test it?

and if so, where would I get a new install cd?

I'm so confused.......thanks for continuing to help.......

with the weekend I had.........

I guess anything is possible...........

I'll see if I can clean it with some compressed air.........and see if that does the trick.........

I've never dealt with anything like this before..........

ok...

I've tried to clean it out.....
and I used my other CD drive......

because I have 2 and neither one will boot with the install disk...........

I'm completely out of ideas........I'm tempted to take it out back and pull an "office space -destoy office equipment" scene.

Yes, computer out the window idea. ;)

Anyway, that "boot" CD
The disc that I have is the one that came with the computer......it says System Recovery CD-- Windows Xp home edition
Hmm, some of these "Recovery CDs" also had a floppy to start the booting process (like Disk 1 and Disk2 idea)

I'm lost in all these words here, but if this is a Dell, you can chat with them h e r e; if this is a HP you can chat with them h e r e

Yeah It's a Compaq (HP), thanks for the link....

I think I'll harass them for a while and see if they have any ideas that could help.....

as for the floppys, my computer doesn't have a floppy drive.......I wish, because then I could probably run Restore then press F6 to get those to run...............

Is it possible to run the boot disks off of a USB drive/stick? ......probably not, huh?

I'm getting desperate here............

Stick with Cd ;)

F6 is for harddrive controllers, usually not needed (unless your Compaq (HP) has F6 doing something else)

I think I'll harass them for a while and see if they have any ideas that could help.....
If they don't help (ie out of warranty) there will definitely be a re-install guide somewhere there.

Also, don't be a stranger ;) Let us know what has happened (you know the progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back