Windows XPSP2 not detecting Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypochondriac

I have a weird problem, I installed an old hard drive as a slave to my computer,

When I check the Bios settings the Hard drive shows up. Windows Xp doesn't seem to detect the hard drive though. It doesn't show up as a drive under my computer. It does show up under device manage, but I can't seem to access it. It's a WD 40gb harddrive. I got it off an e-machines computer I no longer needed. The hard drive worked in the E-machine before I removed it, so I reasonably sure the Drive works.

I have no other computer nearby or friends whose computers I can use to check the drive. Any idea what I can do?

P.S. Though the drive shows up in the bios the boot time is longer when I connect the drive. Thanks

Yes. That is correct. Make sure the 'master' then is actually set to master and not cable select.

Or you could set the 40 gig to master temporarly and put it in the place of a cd/dvd drive, just to see if it works.

If you are 100% certain your jumpers are correct what happens if you try to manually assign it a drive letter in Device Manager.

That didn't work. The main Hard Drive jumper was on CS, when I changed that to master, and kept the second one on slave. During boot up the computer beeped and the bios read read fixed drive 0 fixed drive 1. Windows didn't boot up. I got the loading bar thing you normally get, but then nothing the screen stayed black

Does the HD still have XP on it or did you format it? Do you have the HD's on seperate IDE channels? If not there maybe a conflict. Hope this helps

The hard drive still has XP on it haven't formated it yet. How so I know what channels there on? I just used the cable to connect them

well you have 2 ide channels on a mobo, one for hdd's and one usually for cd/dvd drives.

what membrane is asking is did you put this new slave drive on the same cable as your master drive.

try setting all the jumpers to cable select and see if that works, i think all my drives are on cable select ;)

also in your bios have you gone onto the setup screen thing and done the command for detect all drives?

It's on the same cable as the Master. One thing I just noticed the computer will only detect the drive if the jumper is on CS, when I switched it to master it didn't detect any drive.

With the slave on slave jumper the drive will show up in the bios but not my computer.

With both of them on CS I get the message fixed drive 0 Fixed drive 1 Press F4 to continue. Then windows starts to load but I get stuck with a black screen and the computer freezes.

I haven't done detect all drives because the Bios does detect it, windows doesn't, but will try that

Ok. Get a piece of equipment called easyIDE, it plugs into the USB. The HD wiil show up as store and go mass storage device. Like a huge memory stick, you should be able to open it and take what you need. Then format the hell out of it :p

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back