Windows98 sound issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -
Wondering if anyone can help with this.

I've got a Compaq Presario 6520PT which came pre-installed with XP. I found XP so unstable that I've installed Win 98. Everything is fine except for a lack of sound from speakers. They are connected properly!

I downloaded the soundcard drivers: Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver - and in the device manager I have no conflicts with this.
But still there is no sound coming from the speakers. I've run through the check list in an article on this site, but still no luck.

Any ideas? Could it be because the machine was only designed for XP?

Possible solution?
Very grateful for any help at all.
Many thanks
precise

Have you looked in the sounds and audio control panel,and checked that Realtek is the preferred device ? More importantly,why was XP unstable on that pc.It should have run fine.There must have been something else going on there like spyware or bad drivers.Did you delete the whole partition ? Don`t tell me it`s too late. :confused:

:eek: :eek: Yep - Realtek is checked a preferred device. Long story as to why XP was unstable - in a nutshell - it came with xp home edition - a tech guy deleted that totally and pro on - and now, yes, that partition has totally been deleted.

Don't know why audio won't work now though - it did work fine with xp..... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back