Wine spill, HP G60-519wm keyboard

Hi! I spilled a half glass of wine on my HP G60 keyboard last week. I shut the laptop off and removed the keyboard and I cleaned off as much of the sticky stuff as I could. I did not see a lot of white marks on the circuit boards. I cleaned the keyboard in water and dried it overnight and tried it but no good. I replaced the keyboard and now some keys work while others do not. When I press the a key, I get az1, when I press the s key, I get sx2. Two questions:
1) Would trying a USB keyboard indicate whether the probem is confined to the keyboard and cable and not the motherboard? If it works, keyboard problem only?
2) If the test is no good, can I simply remove as many components as possible (CD, Keyboard, Hard disk, memory, wireless card, display, etc.) and can then soak the computer in warm, distilled water for a while to see if that works.
Regards, Joe

Sounds like you still have some residue of the wine causing an electrcical fault in the keyboard. I am fairly confident that if you connect an external keyboard it will work fine, but please do this to prove it.

If you want to try and flush out the wine from the existing keyboard remove the board form the PC and then there is no possibility of harming anything else. Whatever you do to try and clean it just make sure you leave it for a long time to dry out in a warm place. Your safest bet would be to get a new keyboard.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. I simply disconnected the cable from the original keyboard and I am now using a wireless USB keyboard. Joeturried sibut

Back