TechSpot

WinVista BSOD BCCode 1000007e BCP1 C0000005

By Paladin656
Jun 3, 2009
  1. Greetings all. Found your site while googling for help for my error message and thought I'd drop in for some assistance. Seems like a nice friendly group. I like to work on computers myself, but more along the lines of helping my friend set up their network versus troubleshooting BSOD.

A little background:
    I had a HD failure. Managed to get a backup image before it completly died on me. Insert new harddrive, and restore image. So far so good. Start doing windows updates that I missed while I was down. No problem there. Update my graphics driver.. It seems to update okay, doesn't even ask for a reboot. Next time I do reboot... Boom.

Steps so far:
    System restore is useless, tells me that the system drive doesn't have protection enabled, and when I go to system protection, it pulls up the system -properties- instead and gives me no options. I can get into safe mode, and have uninstalled the display adapater and tried to install a different driver. No good so far.

Computer is a gateway M-1617 laptop with a ATI X1200. Said with the understanding it may be something else and just bad timing with the graphics driver update.

My Info:

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
      OS Version:	6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:	1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:	1000007e
      BCP1:	C0000005
      BCP2:	8C45E06D
      BCP3:	88F5F894
      BCP4:	88F5F590
      OS Version:	6_0_6000
      Service Pack:	0_0
      Product:	768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060309-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Paladin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-104562-0.sysdata.xml
      C:\Users\Paladin\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD9DB.tmp.version.txt

Thank you for any help in advance. I've gotten really frustrated with this and decided I better ask for help before taking a shotgun to the thing. :)

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

All errors are 0x7E and all errors point to the driver Cdr4_xp.sys which is a Roxio driver.

Are you running an older version of Roxio software? The reason I am asking is because that driver distinctly has "xp" in its name and you are running Vista.

Update with patches or completely uninstall your current Roxio.

3. Paladin656

Paladin656 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Roxio as in the CD/DVD burning software?

Not showing in my programs list through control panel, and I have no Roxio folder in my program files directory.

Is this a file I can search for and manually delete, or should I try something like looking for updated dvd drivers for?

4. Route44

5. Paladin656

Looks like renaming Cdr4_xp.sys did it. I'll have to remember that if I have trouble burning anything later.

Thanks for the help.

6. Paladin656

UPDATE: While my computer boots fine, now my CD drive has flaked out without that file. Looking for updated drivers for my drive now, but any other thoughts on anything I may have missed?

7. Route44

I think it is definitely a driver for your CD/DVD drive. Therefore I believe you are on the right path. Update drivers and see if there is a new firmware updates.

8. Paladin656

After some more google foo on the error from device manager, I decided to rename the file back to Cdr4_xp.sys, but then uninstalled the factory installed burn software. Reboot and all was working.

There still is a cdr4_xp.sys on my system so it's still related to drive, but I'm guessing it somehow had a conflict with one of the vista updates that I did in the process of restoring the computer and/or the burn software having a conflict with an update.

Next step is to keep on going till I'm fully patched,and I'll find some decent burn software next time I need to burn something. :)

9. Route44

Out of curiosity what was the burning software you uninstalled?

10. Paladin656

I feel bad that I can't remember. Something like EasyBurn or some sort of spectacular name like that.

Sorry.. :(

11. Route44

No problem on not remembering. I'm just glad you got your system stabilized.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.