WinXP Cannot Access my SATA HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mart64

WinXP Setup Cannot Access my SATA HDD.

Hi,

I have noticed a lot of problems with getting Windows XP to recognise SATA drives. My problem is similar but slightly different.

I have an MSI 865 PE NEO2 FISR mobo with a Pentium 4 2600 processor and I am trying to setup a Maxtor 300GB SATA drive (6B300S0). My mobo has two onboard controllers: an Intel ICH5R and a Promise 378 both of which I have a driver disk for. I can get the drive recognised by BIOS and thus by Windows, I can even get the disk manager to create partitions and format them. However, I appear to be unable to install Windows XP onto the SATA drive.

I get to the bit where it asks for the drivers to be installed (and I have tried using both controllers), and press the "S" button, it finds the driver and continues to load lots of other drivers. Then it finally says it is starting windows and I press F8 to agree to the eula. Then a box appears and instead of listing the drive it just says "Setup cannot access this drive". If I press any of the buttons i then get a STOP: 0x0000008E.... (i have the rest).

I have tried a number of different BIOS settings (S-ATA only, S-ATA and P-ATA etc..) to no avail... Any clues anyone?

Martin .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back