WinXP - fresh installation freeze

By bonefish
May 24, 2006
  1. Hello.

I just bought a new comp which I managed to build for the first time by myself. Everything works fine expect when I try to install WinXP and I get to this exact screen: (not my computer) it either freezes or my keyboard stops working. I try pushing all buttons but nothing happends. Tried rebooting several times, tried switching HD's (from SATA to IDE), tried another keyboard etc. But none of these things work. What am I supposed to do?

I use PS2 for keyboards. Considering i've been testing around a lot I got a slight suspicion it's my mobo (which is new).

thanks for any help.
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

you need to check in the bios to make sure that PS\2 support is enabled. also is your keyboard a microsoft board? I have always had trouble with MS keyboards on installs. that is why I keep a cheap generic PS\2 board around for doing installs.
  3. bonefish

bonefish TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hello. You're right. I've been googling my problem, talking with some friends etc. and I figured out the screen is not actually freezing - but my keyboard isn't working. i'm pretty sure the problem is my computer doesn't detect the PS/2 equipment when I get past BIOS. Someone with similar problem had to get an USB keyboard to make it work which I don't have acess to now.

The question now is how I enable PS/2 in BIOS, cuz I have no idea. All I find is USB Keyboard support which is on enable.

4. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy TS Rookie Posts: 252

Ya, this is why i have a USB to PS/2 adaptor on my keyboard and always have. Go buy yourself one they're like $5 i think. Actually i have a spare, come to Illinois and get it if you want lol.
  5. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

As allready noted your best bet is to buy an adapter. in the bios PS\2 is probably listed under "legacy" devices.
  6. bonefish

bonefish TS Rookie Topic Starter

I went and bought a cheap usb keyboard and now it's working fine! thanks for the help guys.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.