WinXP Home Search function not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinaya_pande

Howdy! Calling all persons "good and true". When I boot my WinXP Home (with SP2) in Safe Mode and try the "Search" function, I get all options overlaid with a horrible crimson (or some other variant of red) band. I can barely make out what is displayed, for among my manifold failings is a colour vision defect (red-green deficiency) that makes me fail Ishihara's Colour Vision charts. By the ordeal doesnt end here, for when I click the "Search for Files and Folders" option, I get a display sans the entry box for the file name that has to be searched. I suspect this is the result of Microsoft's penchant for launching Platforms without working out possible snags and then addressing the lacunae through Service Packs that create more problems than they solve. Several searches over the Web have not yielded any solution. Can somebody out there help? I simply want an effective way to use the Search facility in Safe Mode, to locate Viruses and other malware that hide themselves in Normal booting.

It doesn't search well or properly in SAFEMODE. What about regular mode? You can scan in SAFEMODE immediately after the SCAN in regular mode and get the results you need.

To: raybay "TechSpot Evangelist"

Thanks a pile for your suggestion. However, the problem is that the Safe Mode Search facility is not functional at all. Apart from the bloody (literally!) bands obscuring (to my colour-vision deficient orbs) the Search texts, the File name box for the target file doesn't reveal itself. Some blessed viruses and malware are adept in not manifesting themselves in the normal Boot Search facility, and can perhaps only be seen in the Safe mode. So a more effective solution to my problem is needed. Your statement that WinXP Home Search function doesn't work well in Safe mode is apposite. But the questions are: (1) Why doesn't it work well in the said mode? AND (2) How do we deal with this disability? Any answers?

Thanks jobeard "TechSpot Evangelist". I'll do exactly as you have suggested. But isnt there any way to stop Safe Mode from streaking the Search options with the terribly eyesorish red bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back