WinXP Logs Off As Soon As I Log In most probably affected from a W32.Virut.W virus

By lebatek
Dec 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i need a hand here - my WinXP Logs Off As Soon As I Log In, it all happened after i copied some stuff to my compt from a usb stick which was affected with a virus called W32.Virut.W -of course i didn't known that usb stick was affected with a virus otherwise i wouldn't stick that usb stick to my compt,) - (i later found out from symantect info that this very virus is infects .exe and .scr files on the compromised computer. It also opens a back door and may download potentially malicious files on to the compromised computer.
    NOW I CANNOT LOG INTO MY XP OS AT ALL, I'VE TRIED ALL WAY LIKE SAFE MODE AND ALL THAT.
    can i get a hand here, please?
  2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Hello, lebatek, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, if you can't get into safe mode then try a Windows repair installation. Instructions here: How to repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows

Otherwise, your best option is to put the hard drive into another PC as a slave and copy important data off of it, then reformat the drive and reinstall Windows (in the original PC) How to reformat your hard drive and install/reinstall Windows

When you've got the pc sorted, clean that USB drive!
  3. lebatek

lebatek Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanx ta all, i'll do my best
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.