TechSpot

WinXP Pro: Change Desktop Directory?

By mewi
Jul 5, 2008
  1. [Solved] WinXP Pro: Change Desktop Directory?

Well I have multiple hard drives now, so I was wondering if there was a way to change the default desktop directory... I want it to be changed to another drive folder. My search over google has come up with nothing so far =3

2. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 197

Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Desktop

Change the entry to the directory where you want to save your desktop

3. mewi

mewi TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 86

Thanks for your response... I tried this once before along time ago but it never worked, the default just overwrited my changes after reboot.

I am attempting to change default desktop directory to this directory...

D:\My Documents\My Computer\Desktop

But again it gets re-replaced by

C:\Documents and Settings\Mewi\Desktop

EDIT: I have done a more thorough search on registry searching for anything with desktop and have solved the problem. The proper place to edit user defined desktop directory would be...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Edit Desktop Entry from %USERPROFILE%\Desktop to user defined directory. Example: D:\My Documents\My Computer\Desktop . Problem solved =3 Thanks for aiming me in the right direciton wii-ste ^^

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.