TechSpot

WinXP Remote Desktop problems

By TumbleDumpling
Oct 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been trying to get Remote Desktop to work for a while now. I have followed many tutorials and experimented with other things, but the end result is still the same.

System Background:

The host computer has winxp pro and is my personal computer. This computer has been properly setup in the "System Properties" / "Remote" tab as per all tutorials I have seen.

The client computer has winxp home and is my other computer.

Both computers are connected to the internet via a LAN connection. The LAN connection is split by a Hub then travels to either computer. I have set both computers to run on the same workgroup, aptly named WORKGROUP.

I do have a stand alone anti virus/firewall program, I disabled it entirely but still had the same issue.

Error Messages

On the client, I load up Remote Desktop from the All Programs list and enter the host IP Address, then press connect. After waiting for it to think for a bit a get this message:

Remote Computer Disconnected
    This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
    Try connecting again. If problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

Now if I click on the Computer selection arrow on the Remote Desktop Connection window and select <Browse for more...> I will be able to see a computer with a workgroup name attached to it. But if I try to select it I get another error message:

Remote Desktop Connection
    The WORKGROUP domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.

So, do I actually need to establish a recognized network between these two computers before I can do this? Is the internet not good enough? Am I an ***** and cannot see the simple answer?

I know one thing for sure, I getting quite irritated.

2. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 197

Can the PC's ping each other? That would be the first test to make sure they can reach each other.

3. geekygirl63

geekygirl63 TS Rookie Posts: 70

I assume also that on the system you want to connect to, you have "allowed" remote access?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.