WinXP Remote Desktop problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to get Remote Desktop to work for a while now. I have followed many tutorials and experimented with other things, but the end result is still the same.

System Background:

The host computer has winxp pro and is my personal computer. This computer has been properly setup in the "System Properties" / "Remote" tab as per all tutorials I have seen.

The client computer has winxp home and is my other computer.

Both computers are connected to the internet via a LAN connection. The LAN connection is split by a Hub then travels to either computer. I have set both computers to run on the same workgroup, aptly named WORKGROUP.

I do have a stand alone anti virus/firewall program, I disabled it entirely but still had the same issue.

Error Messages

On the client, I load up Remote Desktop from the All Programs list and enter the host IP Address, then press connect. After waiting for it to think for a bit a get this message:

Remote Computer Disconnected
This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
Try connecting again. If problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

Now if I click on the Computer selection arrow on the Remote Desktop Connection window and select <Browse for more...> I will be able to see a computer with a workgroup name attached to it. But if I try to select it I get another error message:

Remote Desktop Connection
The WORKGROUP domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.

So, do I actually need to establish a recognized network between these two computers before I can do this? Is the internet not good enough? Am I an ***** and cannot see the simple answer?

I know one thing for sure, I getting quite irritated.

Can the PC's ping each other? That would be the first test to make sure they can reach each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back