TechSpot

WinXP won't give drive letter to USB/IDE drive

By Doug1029
Jul 8, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Just joined to renew a TechSpot thread I found while googling a problem I'm having with a notebook HD that I've repackaged in a USB enclosure and am trying to access from a desktop. Both running WinXP (see my profile). Well, the notebook *did* run WinXP but will no longer stay up long enough to boot (long story). The URL for the earlier thread on this topic is

http://www.techspot.com/vb/printthread.php?t=8213

Thanks for any help.

Doug
  2. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Do you have a drive mapped as e: drive? If so, unmap it....I've found this happens fairly frequently.
  3. Doug1029

Doug1029 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Having trouble posting a reply, so I'll keep this simple. Thanks for your response. I have E: and F: assigned to a DVDROM and CDROM. Won't Windows just assign the next available letter (K: in my case)?
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

USB does not recognize virtual or mapped drives.
    It will try the next free letter after it found all hardware drives, but if that next free letter (G/H/I/J in your case?) is a virtual/mapped drive, it comes into conflict, and conks out.
    Solution: like Masque said, unmap GHIJ and move them up to e.g. PQRS.
    Then USB will find the (now free) next hardware letter G.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.