Wipe hard drive - Darik's Boot and Nuke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this software before? I was looking into freeware for hard drive data destruction (I'm selling my notebook), and I came across this. Has anyone used it, or can verify its reliability?

I'm partial to Eraser. Very thorough, and very efficient.

I would however recommend that if you store sensitive data such as bank account details or work files, wipe the HDD and destroy it physically. That is the only surefire way IMO.

Thanks for the thoughts! My bank information has never been in files located on my hard drive, just accessed via the internet. Is there any way to erase that data, or would Eraser do that?

I am not too sure of that. You may want to ask jobeard or someone else over at the Security forums about it.

Just to make sure that nothing can be recovered. I'm pretty paranoid about this after finding out about former friends who offer to "fix" HDDs (usually by replacing the head and PCB with new ones) and also end up imaging the client's HDDs to sift through.

I usually open up the drive and sandpaper the platters until they are completely dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back