Wiping a HDD and reinstalling

steelth

Ok, so I don't screw something up I figured I better check with the pros first .I got and old hdd with old programs on it , I current have installed as a slave drive ,but I want to install it on another computer as the main hdd. Questions : I need to wipe it first right ? so can I use http://www.killdisk.com/ while it is installed as a slave and do it or is there an easier free program? Also after I wipe it and install it beside installing windows is that it ? Keep in mind I am not an IT Tech. plz

There is no need in such programs unless you are extremely paranoid.

Formating the drive during Windows installation and then using Drive Wiper from CCleaner to wipe free space after installation will be plenty sufficient. CCleaner also has the option to wipe the entire drive if you choose but thats not really necessary.

If you are going to be keeping the computer you are putting the drive in question in, then even the above reply is unnecessary.

If the drive truly is slaved (and not just a secondary drive), then you will need to switch the jumper over to 'Master'. This only applies to PATA/IDE drives, not the more modern SATA drives.

You just hook the drive up, pop in the Windows CD/DVD and you are on your way. Follow the on screen instructions and you'll get asked about formatting the drive, and warned that it will destroy current data. Go ahead with it and all will be well.

Wiping/killdisk is only necessary if you want to make it very difficult to recover any old information. Its very time intensive, and if you are keeping that system yourself, it is unnecessary. Once you get the OS installed, install some programs, and begin using it, the chances of anyone getting that data back diminish greatly and continue to diminish the longer you use the computer.

Back