Wired Internet Connection Disconnecting Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my internet started disconnecting a ton during the day and I am really looking for a fix to this problem. When my internet starts disconnecting, it'll happen anywhere from every 2 minutes to every hour. The only ways I can get the internet to start working again after this happens are to go into Network Connections through the control panel and then right click Local Area Connection and press repair or by restarting the computer. After doing one of those 2 things, my computer will start disconnecting again soon after. I'm running Windows XP and have a Netgear WGT624 v3 router. However, I believe that my problem is not any type of hardware error because it only happens during the day and never happens to me at night at all. The computer is using a wired connection, but whenever the internet stops working on here, it will still work on all 3 of the other computers connected to the same router. I have also scanned the computer for viruses and spyware but have not found anything. This problem is really bugging me, so I'd be very happy if anybody could help me. If you need any additional information, feel free to ask.

What did you use scan the computer for pest? Also have you updated XP for patch release lately? How about the Netgear have you updated the firmware on it?

You can try to backup the router configuration to a file.
Then do a 90 second reset on it.
This would mean you keep on holding the reset button on the rear of the router with power cord attached while perform the following:

1. press and hold reset for 90 secs
2. during the first 30 secs you will unplug the power cord
3. during the second 30 secs you will plug-in back the power cord
4. during the third 30 secs at the end of that you would release and unplug the router for 15 seconds

Now try it again and see if the router works now..

What did you use scan the computer for pest? Also have you updated XP for patch release lately? How about the Netgear have you updated the firmware on it?

You can try to backup the router configuration to a file.
Then do a 90 second reset on it.
This would mean you keep on holding the reset button on the rear of the router with power cord attached while perform the following:

1. press and hold reset for 90 secs
2. during the first 30 secs you will unplug the power cord
3. during the second 30 secs you will plug-in back the power cord
4. during the third 30 secs at the end of that you would release and unplug the router for 15 seconds

Now try it again and see if the router works now..

I scanned my computer with Avast and Spybot Search & Destroy, and my router can't be the problem because the other computers connected to it all work fine. I'll try installing Windows Updates and see how things go.

I installed all the recommended Windows Updates and my computer was fine and never disconnected all day yesterday, however today it has started disconnecting again. Any other suggestions that I could try?

See what happens if you switch your LAN cable to another port on the router. If another of your PCs is also connected by wire to the router, switch with that one to see if the problem moves to the other PC.

See what happens if you switch your LAN cable to another port on the router. If another of your PCs is also connected by wire to the router, switch with that one to see if the problem moves to the other PC.

I tried doing that a few days ago and the problem remains still only on this computer.

What about installing a new network driver or reinstalling it if you already have the latest?

Is there anything else you've tried but haven't mentioned?

I've tried all I could think of, I've even uninstalled a few things I thought may have been the problem but nothing has worked so far. Other than that I think I've mentioned everything, but I may have forgotten something.

Something might be wrong with the onboard LAN. You can always buy a PCI or maybe PCI-E LAN card.

Something might be wrong with the onboard LAN. You can always buy a PCI or maybe PCI-E LAN card.

I'm thinking that it's not any type of problem with any hardware because of the fact that it only happens during specific times of the day. Also, buying anything would be my absolute last resort. Anything that could possibly be a fix to this problem besides replacing any parts would be what I'm trying to do. Also, I saw an old thread by someone who seemed to have a very similar problem to what I have and someone told them to scan their computer with HijackThis and post the log. They posted it and the person looked at the log and told them to delete a couple things and their problem was fixed. So should I do the same and scan then post a log here from HijackThis to see if any problem is found?

Yes, by all means do the same. I don't have the expertise to analyze the log properly but someone else could.

I'm thinking that it's not any type of problem with any hardware because of the fact that it only happens during specific times of the day. Also, buying anything would be my absolute last resort. Anything that could possibly be a fix to this problem besides replacing any parts would be what I'm trying to do. Also, I saw an old thread by someone who seemed to have a very similar problem to what I have and someone told them to scan their computer with HijackThis and post the log. They posted it and the person looked at the log and told them to delete a couple things and their problem was fixed. So should I do the same and scan then post a log here from HijackThis to see if any problem is found?

Read over everything you had posted so far. Does the router see this desktop device. What does the logs say for when this problem happens? Again the onboard NIC could have duff port, are you using auto connect or full duplex at 10/100 or 10/100/1000? Are these drivers updated? The only thing I could think of that your might want to try is get cheap NIC card and disable the onboard in the BIOS, not through Windows. Run a test. The onboard NIC does tend to fail without warning. I had two system act up just like you're experiencing. But if you think you have something in registry causing the conflict then you the Hijack program to see.

Read over everything you had posted so far. Does the router see this desktop device. What does the logs say for when this problem happens? Again the onboard NIC could have duff port, are you using auto connect or full duplex at 10/100 or 10/100/1000? Are these drivers updated? The only thing I could think of that your might want to try is get cheap NIC card and disable the onboard in the BIOS, not through Windows. Run a test. The onboard NIC does tend to fail without warning. I had two system act up just like you're experiencing. But if you think you have something in registry causing the conflict then you the Hijack program to see.

The router sees the computer. I'm not sure what the log says when it happens cause I haven't checked right after it happened. "are you using auto connect or full duplex at 10/100 or 10/100/1000? " I'm not sure what that is, if you could explain more I should be able to tell you. Also, this problem started happening to me about 2 months ago then went away for a few weeks then came back again so again I have very high doubts that it's any type of hardware failure. I don't know if it could be a registry error or not, I just saw that the other person who had a similar problem had fixed their problem with HijackThis so that's why I'm wondering if I should run it and post the log or not.

1) You say you have run all Windows updates
> So you're running XP SP3, correct?
> When you run Win Update, are you clicking Custom AND installing all the hardware optional updates as well?

2) Look in the Windows event log (System Log) just in case any events coincide with your error

3) You said "the router still sees the computer"
> So you see the router link light still on (i.e. cable connected)
> Did you login to your router AND refresh its display of attached devices?? (some routers will still show you an old device attached till you refresh)

1) You say you have run all Windows updates
> So you're running XP SP3, correct?
> When you run Win Update, are you clicking Custom AND installing all the hardware optional updates as well?

2) Look in the Windows event log (System Log) just in case any events coincide with your error

3) You said "the router still sees the computer"
> So you see the router link light still on (i.e. cable connected)
> Did you login to your router AND refresh its display of attached devices?? (some routers will still show you an old device attached till you refresh)

1) Yes, I have XP Sp3 but I didn't install the optional ones, so I'll do that.

2) Don't know what I should be looking for in the event log, but I do see some things that say "Warning" on there.

3) The light is still on and it still shows after refreshing.

EDIT: The only optional hardware update that showed up was one for my video card.

The only ways I can get the internet to start working again after this happens are to go into Network Connections through the control panel and then right click Local Area Connection and press repair or by restarting the computer.
Hmmm.. in re-reading your first post.. the thing that troubles me is it would seem that if
> Problem keeps reocurring and
> You can consistently fix the problem by clicking on Repair connection
it implies that something keeps corrupting the connection software. And while i could give you posts on how to try repairing the TCP/IP stack and Winsock and other stuff etc. it sounds that the cause of the corruption may remain (as it keeps reoccuring)

You might be best to:
> Buy an adapter at least to test as you can always return once you know if does or does not fix your issue. Then, if need be, consider
> Clone your drive so you can still get back to where you are now (you can use EASUS freeware tool Disk Copy)
> And try to reinstall your Windows and apps (is reinstallation a reasonable route for you?)

Unless someone else might have other opinions?

Hmmm.. in re-reading your first post.. the thing that troubles me is it would seem that if
> Problem keeps reocurring and
> You can consistently fix the problem by clicking on Repair connection
it implies that something keeps corrupting the connection software. And while i could give you posts on how to try repairing the TCP/IP stack and Winsock and other stuff etc. it sounds that the cause of the corruption may remain (as it keeps reoccuring)

You might be best to:
> Buy an adapter at least to test as you can always return once you know if does or does not fix your issue. Then, if need be, consider
> Clone your drive so you can still get back to where you are now (you can use EASUS freeware tool Disk Copy)
> And try to reinstall your Windows and apps (is reinstallation a reasonable route for you?)

Unless someone else might have other opinions?

I was thinking of just wiping my hard drive and doing a clean install to see if that solved the problem, I'll most likely end up trying that in a few days.

So you were away was this device running all the time you were away? Was anyone using it while you were away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back