Wired / wireless hybrid network

I have kind of a strange situation (I think) let me explain and see if someone can point me in the right direction. I currently have a wireless network up and running. I get a string wireless signal throughout most of the house.

I recently added a internet ready TV in another room. The TV has an ethernet port, and is not capable of wireless connection to my existing network.

Without running any ethernet cable all over the house, how can I get the TV connected to my existing network???

Can I add another wirless router close to the TV, run a cable from the TV to the new router, and have the two wireless routers connect??

Im currently using a lynksys WRK54,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hey, what your saying would be using the second router as a sort of repeater and then using one of the switch ports on the back to connect the TV to the router.
In this case, you could just use a wireless adapter. If the TV has USB, I believe you can use that, if not. there are USB to Ethernet adapters that you can use to connect the adapter to your TV.
This would also cost a fraction of the price, since the only routers that I know of that can work as repeaters are DD-WRTs with the firmware upgrade.

This was my first attempt at helping someone out, so I hope I was at least some help lol.

Justin

Yes, the TV has two USB ports, but I was not sure if it was as simple as plugging in a USB WIFI adapter, since I had no way of loading drivers that are normally required with one of those. Would I not need drivers for the adaptor?

Good point, I did a bit of research on the subject, and it turns out they have usb wireless adapters specifically for TVs. They seem to be brand specific though. So far I have found adapters for Samsung TVs and Mitsubishi, but I'm sure others have them. The price is also much more excessive though. They seem to be hovering around the $50-70 range.

I looked at the manual for the Sharp LC-60LE820UN and according to my quick skim it doesn't appear to support using the USB port for connecting to the internet. According to my understanding of what it said, you have two methods to connect to your network. One is direct connection by ethernet cable and the other is using their PLC adapter kit (sold separately) which uses your household electrical wiring to connect to your broadband connection. See your manual for details.

There is one other way that I can think of to connect wirelessly and that is to use a wireless access point. Basically it is a wireless device that receives the signal from your router and sends it to your TV (or PC or game console) via an ethernet cable. So as far as the end device is concerned (your TV for example) it is sending and receiving data through an ethernet cable. The device can have multiple modes so you have to configure it in the appropriate mode such as wireless client mode. Click here and click here for a couple of examples of the devices.

Please note that D-Link makes several models and there are several other brands and models you can also buy. They come in different price ranges too. The links are just examples. I would caution against just buying the cheapest available though. I use this type for some of my PCs myself. It allows me to use the ethernet port on my PC wirelessly.

The PoE appears to be similar conceptually to the proprietary PLC kit you can get from Sharp.

Back