TechSpot

Wireless Access Point Question

By delebre
May 22, 2007
  1. OK, so I have an interesting idea.

[​IMG]

What I am TRYING to do... is get internet access to devices in another room that have no wireless access... but do have ethernet.

I have Wireless Router "1" which is connected to the internet.

I would like to have a Wireless Router "2" in a seperate room, that can connect to the Router "1" wirelessly so that it can act as a "plug in hub".

Meaning, I want to plug in devices to "2" and have that getting its internet access wirelessly from "1".

Is this possible?

2. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 574

It is possible, and I would suggest you configure a NAT (Network Address Translation) rule between the two WAP's.
    Lets say your WAP#2's network address is 192.168.2.1, you can create a NAT rule that would forward all traffic from the 192.168.2.0 network to your other WAP (lets say it's 192.168.1.1). See what I mean?

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Not all wireless routers support range extending or bridging.

Do you want to add wireless clients to the "Wireless 2" device or will they be only wired?
    If you want a wired-only setup for people at 2, then get a wireless bridge. If you want to extend your wireless network at 1, then to you need a wireless device that can act as a repeater/extender.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,716   +89

Shed some light on your answer

Not fancy! I just was created this layout design on W2k MS Paint, I am at work so I don't have the fancy stuff but this should give you idea of what you can do. In the kitchen area there is no LAN connection so I use a Wireless Bridge Converter for wired network devices. Signal strenght is Excellent the way I have it layed out..

Attached Files:

5. delebre

delebre TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you guys for your ideas... it looks like a Wireless Bridge is going to be necessary. I'll do some more research to figure out how to do it.. o_O

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.