Wireless Access Point Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I have an interesting idea.

[CENTER]
Unique.JPG
[/CENTER]

What I am TRYING to do... is get internet access to devices in another room that have no wireless access... but do have ethernet.

I have Wireless Router "1" which is connected to the internet.

I would like to have a Wireless Router "2" in a seperate room, that can connect to the Router "1" wirelessly so that it can act as a "plug in hub".

Meaning, I want to plug in devices to "2" and have that getting its internet access wirelessly from "1".

Is this possible?

It is possible, and I would suggest you configure a NAT (Network Address Translation) rule between the two WAP's.
Lets say your WAP#2's network address is 192.168.2.1, you can create a NAT rule that would forward all traffic from the 192.168.2.0 network to your other WAP (lets say it's 192.168.1.1). See what I mean?

Not all wireless routers support range extending or bridging.

Do you want to add wireless clients to the "Wireless 2" device or will they be only wired?
If you want a wired-only setup for people at 2, then get a wireless bridge. If you want to extend your wireless network at 1, then to you need a wireless device that can act as a repeater/extender.

Shed some light on your answer

Not fancy! I just was created this layout design on W2k MS Paint, I am at work so I don't have the fancy stuff but this should give you idea of what you can do. In the kitchen area there is no LAN connection so I use a Wireless Bridge Converter for wired network devices. Signal strenght is Excellent the way I have it layed out..

Attachments

• soho_home_network.gif
    soho_home_network.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 7
Thank you guys for your ideas... it looks like a Wireless Bridge is going to be necessary. I'll do some more research to figure out how to do it.. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back