Wireless Adapter - Acquiring Network Address Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im using Windows XP Professional on both my desktops.
I am using a Netgear 108 mps wireless router, WGT624v3
And a LinksysWireless-G PCI Adapter.
I have completed the setup, I have good signal strength. However I cannot connect to the internet, and The adapter is saying the it is "Aquiring Network Address"
Under the support tab, it reads that I have an invalid IP address and lists the ip address as 0.0.0.0. When I click repair it reads renewing ip address but never seems to renew itself.
I have disabled my firewall restarted both computers, router, and adapter multiple times and still have no success. Please help with any advice or recomendations.

Much appreciated
GJHILE

If your "setup" includes encryption and MAC addresss block or other filtering/security methods you should only add those incrementally as you know other stuff is working

Startout just trying to connect to a simple wireless broadcast and verify your adapter sees the SSID being broadcasted by the router.

Your computers are not hitting the DNS. The DNS is what assigns the IP address. have you tried accessing the router directly? Most have a basic ip address something like 192.168.1.0, or 192.168.1.1 then the password would be something like user name: <blank>, password: admin after u get into your router U can see the security settings.

Your computers are not hitting the DNS. The DNS is what assigns the IP address. have you tried accessing the router directly? Most have a basic ip address something like 192.168.1.0, or 192.168.1.1 then the password would be something like user name: <blank>, password: admin after u get into your router U can see the security settings.

Hi Circuit

A clarification: DNS are Domain Name Servers. They translate human-friendly names like www.google.com to the IP address for that name.. DNS servers sit somewhere on the internet outside of your house.

When connecting to a router it's only you, your LAN and your router. :) You've not yet made it to the outside world. DNS isn't involved in these first steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back