Wireless and Dell D505 Issue

By austinguy
Dec 12, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,
    I'm SURE there is a very simple step I'm overlooking but I tried using my laptop wirelessly last night on my home network, and the Google (and I tried others, no luck) home page wouldn't load...Windows XP, service Pack 2.

XP pops up a window to show I'm connected to my wireless router at home, but it won't load the page.

OK: Background. I traveled to Dallas this weekend to visit my sister and had to enter a password to use her wireless network. I believe the problem has something to do with that, but here is what I have tried since then.

1) Went into Network Connections, and looked at all the wireless networks, did a refresh, set my home network as the top one in the list--still didn't work.

2) Opened a DOS prompt, cleared the DNS using the command: ipconfig /flushdns.

3) Released and renewed the ipconfig a few times....(It's connecting to the router, just not loading the page, so really I was banging my head against the wall, metaphorically.)

4) Checked Windows security settings, but it appears the firewall is turned off, although I never really found where I could change the settings, so I'm not 100% positive about that.

Any ideas what's wrong. It has to be something really simple I'm overlooking...
  2. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

My wireless shows a strong connection even though my cable modem is in standbye mode. Try resetting your cable or dsl modem whichever you have.
  3. austinguy

austinguy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

OK, I came home tonight and I asked my son about our home internet, and he said: Oh yeah, dad, the internet isn't working. That just about nailed it down to the modem for me...he said he tried rebooting the modem a bunch of times, but he didn't LOG ON after restarting it. We have an SBC modem, and it needs a log in. Never having used another DSL modem, I don't know if they all do that, but this one did. After I did login to the modem, it worked.

Thanks for your suggestion (which I found after I logged in tonight.)

I figured it was something simple...it was.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.