Wireless card help

By spidyrmen
Sep 25, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Belkin wireless G F57050 USB Network Adapter. I do not have a router at the present time. I have been connecting to the internet through 4 or 5 of my neighbors. I know that isn't right but my wife just had triple bypass sugery and our home is in foreclosure. This was the only way I could afford to connect. The problem I have is I keep losing the connection to the strongest network every 10 to 15 seconds. The signal strength is very good. It will however stay connected to the network with a signal of very low and at 1.0MBPS for about 10 minutes or so. I have a pc and have moved it as far as the cords would allow. Is there a signal booster or some other inexpensive way to boost my signal or do I need to invest in a router. Money is tight. Thank you in advance for your help
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Hi

I know your in a bad situation and my heart goes out to you, but what your doing is illegal, its called "theft of services"

That said even if you bought a router, with no internet coming into your house via an ISP its gonna do you no good at all...

Why not talk to a neigbour and explain your situation and ask them nicely if they will (for a small monthly/weekly payment) allow you to use their service..

If they agree then look into getting a cheap wireless extender, this simply picks up a signal from a preassigned router and boosts it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.