Wireless connect/disconnect issue using XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to connect to a wireless network that I have the network key for. Every time i try to connect it appears that I am connected and then it disconnects. This connect/disconnect issue keeps repeating every 3 secs or so until you stop. Has anyone experienced this problem or found a fix for it.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I saw this thread www dot techspot dot com/vb/topic64048.html but I'm not sure if this will work for me as well since it says the solution was just for the original poster.

Thank you

Are you using the Utility that came with your wireless card or the Windows utility (WZC, wireless zero configuration)?

What is the make and model of the router?
What is the make and model of the wireless card?

I am trying to connect to a wireless network that I have the network key for. Every time i try to connect it appears that I am connected and then it disconnects. This connect/disconnect issue keeps repeating every 3 secs or so until you stop. Has anyone experienced this problem or found a fix for it.

I saw this thread www dot techspot dot com/vb/topic64048.html but I'm not sure if this will work for me as well since it says the solution was just for the original poster.
that post was regarding an infection; not necessarily your issue.

First thing to attempt is to update the driver for the device.

OK. Here are the details of the router and wireless card

Router: NetGear 108 mbps Wireless Router model wgt624 v3

Wireless Card: Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network Connection 0.1.4 Hardware

Here are the details of the network connection
Security enabled wireless network (WPA) using WNC
Network - WPA-PSK
Data Encryption - TKIP

My questions about the upgrade are:
1) if it can be done by any computer on that network or if has to be done on the computer that set up the network?
2) Also, if the computer is question is the only one on the network and cant connect should I download the driver update from another computer, send to a thumb drive and download on the computer in question.

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Eddie

1) you can download using any connection at anytime

2) you can update the device drivers for any system while logged into that system

3) you can ONLY UPDATE A ROUTER using a wired connection to it;
think about it; updating the device while WiFi connected would be catastrophic!

1) you can download using any connection at anytime

2) you can update the device drivers for any system while logged into that system

3) you can ONLY UPDATE A ROUTER using a wired connection to it;
think about it; updating the device while WiFi connected would be catastrophic!

Thank you. I appreciate the response. I will be trying this update later on today and will report back.

Update the firmware, then load the defaults and setup your router according to your Network.

You also want to update your Wireless adapter's drivers if any.

Still didn't tell us if you use the WZC or the utility that came with your adapter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back