Wireless connection lost, impedance problem...what?

Hi all,

I have been having a problem with my wireless intern network connection. I have a sneaky suspicion that my service provider is doing all they can to not have this be there problem.
Sequence of events:
-Wireless connection intermittently stops working, ~ 5-6 times a week for the past month.
-Service provider said it was probably the router.
-Bought a new router. Problem still occurring.
-Service provider said it was my wireless network card. Told them that ALL the laptops in the house don't work. Okay, well then that's not the problem.
-I go look at the modem. Power light-ON, Send & Receive- Blinking, Cable Light- OFF
-Told me my modem was offline. Said it was probably an impedance issue. Not sure what that means.
-Unscrewed the cable, touched the inside with my finger, screwed it back in, rebooted computers. All computers working.
-Previous technicians, said to unplug the power to both modem and router. that works temporarily.

I'm not sure what is going on here and I am no wiz with this stuff, but I am now thinking this is either a problem with the cable line OR the cable modem. I keep getting different answers from the cable company and they tell me I might have to have someone come out to look into the issue which of course I will be billed for. Already paid for a new router. How should I deal with this?

The company should be able to supply you with a new modem to attempt a fix. This should not be something you are billed for, generally you should be billed if the issue is caused by something other then their product(the Modem) or the telephone line leading to your house+the demarcation point.. These are all things that the ISP should be covering.

Does this issue happen when you are connected by Ethernet cable? Or JUST wireless?

If this is limted to a wireless issue then I would say that it is an issue that is fixable on your part:

Things to look at: Phone lines(Filters on your phones)
Wireless Phones, Microwaves, any new wireless devices in the house.. Wireless devices can cause interferance with eachother. lots of wireless phones work on the 2.4GHz frequency, the same frequency that 802.11 works on (Wireless) If this fixes the issue, try each phone separtly to narrow down the issue.

To eliminate phones as the issue, you could disconnect all your phones in the house, and test your wireless connection and see if it improves. To make sure it is not due to distance/interferance (Physically) Set up the laptop within 3 feet of the router and see if any issues happen connecting to the router.

Microwaves also work on the 2.4GHz frequency at times and can cause interference when running, but this would be a rare disconnect.

Lastly, if this is simply an issue overall (Wireless and hardwired(ethernet)) then I would suggest connecting to their modem directly, ensuing there is nothing between you and their device. IF there is still an issue, replace the cables between the Modem (The phone cable) as well as the ethernet cable to your computer.. If there are still issues then this is left to the ISP to fix and should not be at your cost.

You pay for their services and this should include the service and repair of their device. Modems tend to break down/overheat and have issues over time, they should be able to supply you with a new one.

Back