Wireless connection with no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi~

In a post in another thread I posted this:

Hi~

I have a laptop with Vista that connects to the internet no problem. I have a desktop with XP Home Edition that recognizes the wireless connection but I cannot connect to the internet.

I had this issue last month and just couldn't deal so went and bought my laptop. Now I want to prepare my desktop to sell to my neighbors (but won't if it cannot connect to the internet!!!!) so trying to deal with this again. I did Darik's Nuke & Boot yesterday and reinstalled windows xp today. I then tried to connect to the internet and could not, followed your instructions above (ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew) and will not allow me to renew. What next?

What other information do you need from me to diagnose?

Thanks....this forum is always so helpful!!!!!!!

Cindy

I was then instructed to do the following:

1:- First, PING 127.0.0.1 (the nic card itself)
This proves your NIC is operational

2:- Next, PING aaa.bbb.ccc.101 (your public ip address)
This is the address assigned to you by the ISP when the connection was made. But how do you find it?
By getting a Command Prompt (run cmd) and issuing IPCONFIG
Unless you have modified your firewall settings, you should NOT see Request timed out, but rather something like
Reply from aaa.bbb.ccc.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

3:- Follow that with PING $GATEWAY (as shown by the previous ipconfig). You should NOT see Request timed out.
This too should look like
Reply from $GATEWAY: bytes=32 time 104 ms TTL=64

I can do the first two steps, but cannot do this third step. Can someone help?

Thanks again!
Cindy

Cindy please go to command prompt (Start - Run - CMD)

And type in: IPCONFIG / ALL

Copy all the detalis to a reply here

IP Config/All response

Hi~

Thanks for helping me. Here is what I have:

Host Name: home-baf749293e
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Physical Address: 00-0C-41-6C-5E-50
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfig enabled: Yes
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server: 0.0.0.0

Thanks for your help.
Cindy

Thanks.

Can you connect your computer directly to the modem/router using an ethernet cable (patch cable)

I need to know if your computer is able to obtain the modem/router gateway.

The gateway is an IP address such as 192.168.0.1 (example) that you can connect to via Internet explorer ie http://192.168.0.1

After connecting directly to the modem/router can you supply a new Ipconfig /all copy/paste into another reply.

Thanks...I will try this tomorrow and reply with an answer as I have to physically move the computer closer and it wouldn't be a good idea to do right now with my kids running around!!!!

Thanks!
Cindy

Reading through the thread i have a couple additional suggestions (and i'm a little confused. If kimsland or someone else could clarify)

First to justcin0803, if the problem continues please also report
  • What make/model wireless router/gateway are you using?
  • You said you have "a laptop that connects to the internet no problem". I assume you mean it connects through the same wireless gateway?? Could you please connect your laptop to the internet as you said and then, from the laptop, run ipconfig /all. Copy the entire result back here
  • Check the manual for your router/gateway to find out its address. Or we can tell you what it is once you post your wireless gateway's make/model. (It's address likely begins 192.168 but those last two digits can vary depending on make/model)
  • When you first started this thread, you said you successfully followed the instruction and did a "PING aaa.bbb.ccc.101 (your public ip address)"?? Do you recall the public IP adress? Aside from surprised you succeeded at your public ip ping am surprised someone could predict the last number of your public ip address.. Or is there a piece of info i'm missing?

And to kimsland (or anyone else who can answer)
In the ipconfig /all output listed in this thread, why is there only a wireless adapter listed? Isn't there a Ethernet LAN connector on this computer? What is the ethernet cable going to connect to and shouldn't it appear as well in ipconfig /all output?

Questions to justcin0803 (point form) are slowly being addressed, so I'll leave that.

But the missing Network card thingy !
Either it is disabled in Device Manager or Bios
Or this is an old computer, that does not include a network card !

justcin0803, can you please let us know if your computer has a network port on the back of the computer ? And also what computer mak / model this is.

Thank-you LookinAround, please keep looking around !!

Hi!

You are all great! Thanks for helping. Here is the information you requested so that you can help me!

I've connected my desktop directly to the wireless router using an ethernet cable and get the same response when I type in ipconfig/all except the DHCP Server now reads 255.255.255.255.

My router is a Linksys Wireless G Router Model #WRT54G. My desktop also has a Linksys Wireless Card Model #WMP54G. I'm not sure if the Gateway is Linksys or Roadrunner through Time Warner Cable....you can probably figure this out from wither of thee and let me know.

Here are the results from running ipconfig/all on my laptop:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RussellFamil-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : maine.rr.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : maine.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-E8-AE-FB-CB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dd6b:ae6d:9d10:e24e%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 21, 2008 6:42:33 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:42:33 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201331688
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.40
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : maine.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.101%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.40
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e66:14d8:2de5:3f57:fe9a(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14d8:2de5:3f57:fe9a%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

The address should be 192.168.1.101, right? This is the number I put in when pinging and it worked. I am not able to get the info for my public ip address...that's where I get hung up.

And no, my desktop was completely wireless...I had no wired connection on it. And after connecting it this morning and doing ipconfig /all again....nothing happened.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700. Its about 3 years old.

I don't know if it has a network card or not and I'm not sure what I should be looking for, but if I was able to connect to the internet via this same wireless connection last month, I would think I would have a network card, no?

Again...thanks so much! Really hope this will get fixed! By the way....if I can get it connected directly with the ethernet cable and not via a wireless connection, I would be happy with that.

Regards,
Cindy

If your happy to go ethernet hard wired (preferred)

Then I'd go to Network Connections and right click on every connection and select delete. At least one, will not delete by the way.

Then go to Start -->Run --> CMD

And type and then enter:- ipconfig /flushDNS
And then type:- ipconfig /release

Exit the Dos window

Then go to Start --> Run --> InetWiz
And set up to Lan

Try that

not working

Hi~

When I do ipconfig/ flushdns, all I get is a line that says Windows IP Configuration. Same when I do ipconfig /release.

Obviously something is really wrong. What should I try next?

Thanks,
Cindy

No that's right

Now go back to the CMD (Dos Window) and type
ipconfig/ renew
Exit out

Then run InetWiz

I have limited time this morning so will just add a few notes. justcin0803 if u don't follow all my comments i believe kimsland will understand what i'm saying

1. Dell Dimension 4700 comes with a network adapter. The port is on the rear left side about 1/3 way up from floor. Just next to a couple USB ports.
  2. Default ip address for WRT54G is 192.168.1.1
  3. Factory login settings for WRT54G: leave User Name empty; type admin all-lower case for the password
  4. Looks like several versions of the gatway has been released. Good to know exactly which one this is.. Look for a metal tag on the bottom of gateway. Should show model number followed by vx, where x is the version number
  5. Probably also useful to check whether or not the gatteway is running the latest firmware
  6. Here's the ftp link you can use to download the gateway user;s guide
Gotta run. Have a busy day helping my niece move in to her new apartment. Gee, and as a matter of fact, needs some help with all the computer, cable, wireless etc. hookup.

Will check back later in the day

Hi~

Yesterday when I followed the instructions to flushdns, etc. I got some sort of 'reply' on my computer that confirmed that it did it. Today I don't. I tried the renew and it came back with just the line 'Windows IP Configuration'.

I really don't care about the wireless stuff....I just want to be able to access the internet so that I can legitimately give my computer to my neighbors and have it be useful to them. If they want wireless, they can spend the time.

So, Kimsland, if this ipconfig stuff is not working for me, what should I try next?

Thanks again for your help. I've gotta run out to do a couple of errands but can spend the afternoon working on this.

Thanks,
Cindy

Houston, I Have A Connection!

Hi there!

I'm so damn proud of myself....I figured this one out! I went to the Dell website and searched for the network driver and installed it....I now have a connection. I'm so damn happy....its not even funny! Yeah....I now have wireless and wired!

Woohoo!

Cindy

Well done Cindy, The Drivers ! Which was #7 post, where's the network.

#8 Post check Device Manager.

Incredible Cindy, I said disabled? But I didn't say Installed? (My fault)

Yes you did do very well in updating the onboard drivers.

In the mean time, we have removed all the other connections, and cleaned out all the settings, better anyway.

Resolved (one way or other)

Yes...and it was the combo of those two posts that made me think to go to the Dell website and see if I could find the solution there. The computer is now housed at my neighbors and they now inherit any problems :)

Thanks so much for all of your assistance. This forum is incredible!

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back