TechSpot

Wireless 'Everything' Disappeared off Laptop

By ADRideau
Nov 7, 2009
  1. HP Laptop 2125nr, XP SP3, completely updated...

Everything involving the integrated wireless adapter & its drivers have vanished. The hardware profile (Device Mgr) is displaying as if it never existed.

Installing fresh copies of the adapter & drivers from the HP website didn't work, the lap is thinking that there's nothing to install.

Rolling back service pack 3 didn't work as well.

I've also did an online scan of the hardware, found & unidentified - no luck.

Any ideas? Please?

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

hi

the hardware is kaput...if its seperate replace it, if its onboard then its time for a new motherboard.

or

its been turned off in the BIOS, have a look ...

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

The wireless hardware may be dead (as Ididmyc600 suggested) but I'm also not following everything you write

1) Device Manager is not a hardware profile
    2) You say you scanned and found unidentified hardware? or what do you mean?
    In any event, let's take a look
    • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

4. ADRideau

ADRideau TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for responding...

Nothing is showing under 'Problem Devices'. The Device Manager doesn't have any yellow marks.

I did an online scan with Driver Max for known hardware and unidentified hardware. Everything came back accounted for. But I know that it's in here and it was working.

It's like someone stole it off the mobo in the middle of the night while I was sleep.

What do you think??

5. ADRideau

ADRideau TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for responding...

Nothing is showing under 'Problem Devices'. The Device Manager doesn't have any yellow marks either.

I did an online scan with Driver Max for known hardware needing driver updates and for unidentified hardware with no drivers installed. Everything came back accounted for. But I know that it's in here and it was working.

It's like someone stole it off the mobo in the middle of the night while I was sleep.

What do you think??

6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

It's conclusively narrowed down to the two choices above. Check your BIOS settings to see if it's disabled. If not BIOS issue, you can look at buying a USB wireless network adapter

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.