TechSpot

Wireless G PCI Adapter will not connect to my Wireless B router but I should

By punt
Jul 15, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the linksys wireless g pci adapter WMP54G, according to the box it is compatable with wireless B. I have it installed on my new Vista desk top computer that i bought today with the correct drivers. It will connect to my neighbours wireless g router so the adapter is working. however it shows a signal from my DLINK DI-514 Router but when i try to connect i get this error message "wireless association failed due to an unknown reason".
    I have called DLINK and Linksys and they are no help.
    I think that i need to somehow set the adapter to B wireless but i don't know how or if it is supposed to be automatic.

Please help me i have spent countless hours trying to fix this.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Looks like a simple install error... do you know who has the D-Link? What is the model and version of the Wireless B.
    Have you tried to connect or setup the Wireless B, alone before connecting the two. The Wireless B is WEP only, me thinks, but the WMP54G is capable of WPA. Any chance there is a misconfiguration in your setup? Do you have the correct install downloads for that version of whatever Wireless B? Both have to be setup separately, before connection, as I remember.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.