Wireless internet connection for xbox-360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick69er

Hey, has anyone used the Linksys: WUSB300N: usb wireless adapter to get their X-360 on line?. It is "Vista compatible,"(as stated on it's box). It trancieves on the 802.11-N standard which reputedly, has much greater range and bandwidth. I have the Linksys: WTR300N router which will operate in either 802.11-G or -N modes. My X-Box is located just out of range of a 802.11-G standard transciever, therefore, I am reluctant to purchase the Microsoft XBOX-360: 802.11-G wireless adapter. If this has not been tried or used sucessfully, where might I look for an answer? thanks...

i was under the impression that micro$oft do not allow usb recievers that would work for a pc work on the 360, as it does not install the drivers. This is to force you to buy their ripoff adapter.

you could simply (what i would do now you have bought everything) attach the router to the xbox 360 via ethernet cable (once you have set the router up on your pc) and use the usb reciever in your pc.

I've got an Xbox installed without any problems, but it is running on G mode, not the N mode.

The N mode "standard" is not yet adopted so there's bound to be problems unless
all the network devices come from the same vendor :(

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Soad and Jobeard, thanks for your replies. Yeah I have given thought to the ethernet cable idea, however I would require about 150' (big house). Since I use the Linksys: WRT300N router I speculated that the Linksys: WUSB300N would stand the best chance for working together. I have not heard about microsoft defeating the ability to use PC wireless adapters, although I wouldn't doubt it. I have seen another Linksys wirless game adapter that people have used for Xbox however I think it used an Ethernet cable connect and is still the 802.11-G stantard. I would like to use the 802.11-N standard. I just figured that if MS Xbox wireless adapter is USB, that most of the other USB wireless adapters would work as well. I can't believe that I am the first one to think about try ing it...

yeah some gaming adapters work but iv heard that reliability can be an issue. I meant that the router would stand next to the xbox 360 and wirelessly send the signal to the pc, and the pc will pick up using the adapter you already have? you could even use the ethernet cable that comes with the xbox.

[edit] also im pretty sure wireless adapters dont work http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa?threadID=88789&tstart=0 but like you say, gaming adapters (wireless ethernet bridges) do work, just cant be usb due to driver issue. i have spent hours trying to set up my brothers 360 with usb adapters, and for me best option was just to shell out notes for the official M$ one, but for you i think my suggestion will be best.

Ah yes Soad I see what you are saying. That may be the best option. I can very see in my mind that that methoed will work, (assuming that the increased range of ...11-N works as advertised for my desktop PC), however I would need to have the installers come back to my home and run another ADSL Line to the vicinity of my entertainment center again, on the opposite corner of the house.

ah right im just lucky enough to live in a new house and there are phone outputs in every room (except bathrooms, noone likes to talk to you when your letting one out) and i didnt think about that issue. Well you could try a gaming adapter like this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/61885 (this is not necesarily the cheapest website or the cheapest product availiable, just i believe the brand to have an OK reputation) but as i say when it came down to it the price for one of these it was so similar to an official M$ usb adapter it seemed a much easier option to just get one, despite the gut feeling that i have walked straight into their money making scheme.

Set up was just easier using official one, but obviously its up to you, there are cheaper gaming adapters out there! I suppose its a balance between price of getting new adsl line in, buying official adapter (can you still return/sell the adapter you have just bought for extra money?), or buying one of these gaming adapters (i think for the ranges and signal qulaity you describe you may end up having to pay top dollar)

Soad, thanks again for the replies, Jobeard as well. I have posted on four other sites that this one is the only place with members intelligent to understand and answer. Soad the link you provided was right on the money. So I guess the question now is does Linksys make a ethernet gaming bridge that trancieves on the 802.11-N freq. as well as the one on ...11-G?

after a quick google of the subject http://forums.wi-fiplanet.com/showthread.php?t=6904 im afraid it looks like this product is not available yet, sorry to be the bringer of bad news. i did not think when replying about your need for 802.11n as i didnt realise they werent available. once again sorry :(

it looks like your only feasible option will be to get another adsl line put in and wire it to the xbox directly, using the router to send the signal to the usb adapter on the pc. The price may be less than a 802.11n gaming adapter anyway if one comes out, as they will be very expensive if rare.

just out of interest how much does it cost to get another line put in? (im intrigued now)

Sorry, had to go out for a while. Um, I got the second: DSL line installed and the modem included after a rebate for it's initial purchase, for $50.00. It is their basic 1.5 meg/sec. for $19.95 per month. This second line can be used with a fax machine or vioce phone as well. My cable was $39.95 and was really fast until all the other homes in my neighborhood got cable internet and my "NODE" filled up. So the slower DSL became cost effective. I don't share bandwidth any more. If I want more speed I can simply pay 10 or 20 more per month. for a top speed of 6 mb/sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back