Wireless Internet w Desk Top PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. New to the boards, and new to wireless Internet connections. I bought a computer from my employer and it came with a wireless adapter already installed. When we attempted to connect to the Internet we didn't have to do anything and it connected on its own. The problem is that the connection goes in and out and we sometimes can't get an Internet connection. Sometimes access points (I guess I am calling it by the correct name) just appear on my available networks list, and sometimes I can't find any to connect to at all.

How can I find and connect to public access networks, and keep them from dropping off my list so that I can find them again later? Help please! Thanks

This is a desktop PC? You posted this in the Mobile Computing. A laptop, PDA, Blackberry and cell phones are examples of mobile computing devices. Have someone replace the wireless card in the PC with a better card

First, I would remove the wireless card, then run an uninstall of the drivers.
Download new drivers for that device, and look very closely at it to get the correct sub-numbers of the model... as they are commonly issued with a number of upgrades so the exact driver is critical.
Then print out the install instructions from the manufacturer's web site.
Once the drivers are installed, install the wireless unit once more, and follow those instructions exactly.
Also, check to see if your computer is detecting any other wireless near you, or any interference, such as a radio station.
Desktop wireless cannot be installed too closely to a wall or other devices... and will be optimal at 18 inches. It is useful to move the wireless around as you test. Even three inches can make a difference sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back