Wireless internet

By Natalie89
Jan 8, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

I was recently given a used PC computer. I don't much about it at all, but I know it does not have wireless internet on it. I am not very good with computers, so I have a few questions:

1) Is there someway I can find the exact model of my PC so that I can download drivers?

2) Will installing a wireless driver work? Or do I need to get something else for it to work?
  2. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Well if the PC haves a wireless modem you can and should be able to connect to a wireless modem/router, if not then you should get a wireless modem at any PC supply store.

And to know your motherboard model go to and download "1.56 setup, english" extract the files and open CPU-Z there you will have the info of your CPU and Motherboard.

By the way is it a Desktop or a Laptop?
  3. Natalie89

Natalie89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh, awesome! Thank you!

It is a desktop.

Is there a way to see if there is a wireless modem? Maybe I am mistaken, and there is one.
  4. Cota

There should be an icon on the notification area like this one (in Windows Vista and 7) (the bars whit the yellow dot)

Since its a Desktop PC normally they dont usually come whit wireless modems on them, but since it was given to you we dont know yet, check for an antenna on the back just to ensure if you have one or not.
  5. Natalie89

Natalie89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay, I don't have a wireless modem.

If I were to go and buy a modem, are they ones made for specific computers, and what kind of price range am I looking at?
  6. Cota

Well for a desktop you can choose for a wireless PCI adapter or a USB, for the PCI you would need to open your case and install the card, for the USB well its just pluging it; its really up to you ;)

And for the price, well they are not so expensive 50Dlls or so, but have this in mind, there is a speed related to each protocol: (From the slower to faster)

802.11a -> 802.11b -> 802.11g ->802.11n

The standard is 802.11g but "n" would ensure the outdated effect.

Some of the bunch:
  7. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

If your looking at wireless don't even go near a D-LINK. You won't get full signal with the router atop of the pc itself.

I would suggest a linksys adapter. If you are able to shop online is the best price-performance in my opinion for USB adapters.